none
SSMS Application Security idle session locking window RRS feed

• Question

• We are running multiple versions of SQL Server Management Studio in our network, I believe from 2000 through 2017. For our security review we need to find out how to set an inactivity timeout in the SSMS application. Not a session timeout between SSMS & SQL Server but an inactivity timeout, and lock screen, for the GUI, if there is one. If there ins't one I need an explanation that I can give to our security folks that they will accept, preferably including a URL for the functionality. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, May 10, 2019 10:48 PM

All replies

• There is no such build-in Feature in SSMS and I don't know any other tool or app which has such a feature.

Normally one uses Windows Feature for such a inactivity lock-out.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Monday, May 13, 2019 8:10 AM
  • Thank you. That is what we think too but our Security group is requiring documentation stating that and our MS Support contract has expired and will not be renewed. We need to give them authoritative proof that it does not exist but it is tough to find documentation for something that does not exist. We have similar requirements for Sharepoint and we have opened threads in that forum.

Thank you.

Monday, May 13, 2019 1:31 PM