none
VS2017 Installation and Re-Installation and Re-Installation... RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft, I am reading you loud and clear: "Stop using Microsoft Visual Studio".  I am on my 4th install of VS 2017 Community.  I launch VS 2017, open a local copy of a web site, right-click on the project name in the Solution Explorer, select Add new item and... where are my ASP.net templates??????? I will only be doing ASP.Net, CLR assemblies for SQL Server, Windows Console, Windows, and Windows Services.  All my ASP.Net work will be on intranet web sites.  I'm trying to keep my installation of VS 2017 lean.  I don't know why the time required to launch VS 2017 or open a local web site takes so much longer than with VS2010.  I'm trying to eliminate the burden of features I don't need.

Why can't I incrementally add features to VS2017?

Monday, July 10, 2017 7:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>>I launch VS 2017, open a local copy of a web site, right-click on the project name in the Solution Explorer, select Add new item and... where are my ASP.net templates???????

Is there any issue with adding new item? You could check my screenshot, if yours is different from mine, please upload your screenshots.

>>I'm trying to keep my installation of VS 2017 lean.  I don't know why the time required to launch VS 2017 or open a local web site takes so much longer than with VS2010.  I'm trying to eliminate the burden of features I don't need.

The installation of visual studio 2017 is different from the other visual studio version. Please open visual studio installer and you can customize your installation by using workloads. Select one or more of the workloads you want; each workload contains the features you need for the programming language or platform you prefer. If you don't want to use the handy Workloads feature to customize your Visual Studio installation, click the Individual components option from the Visual Studio Installer, select what you want. If you don’t need it, unselect it.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 9:10 AM