none
People Search returning no results - Cross Farm searching RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have a slightly complicated set up.

SP 2010 Farm A - Runs all Service Applications

SP 2010 Farm B - Hosts SP Sites

SP 2010 Farm C - Hosts SP Sites and Hosts User Profile Service

Farm C replicates the User Profile data to Farm A via the User Profile Replication Engine and stores this in its own User Profile Service. Farm A hosts and publishes the Search Service Application and both Farms B & C consume this service.

Search in terms of document search works fine - So I can be logged onto a site hosted in Farm B, search for something, and provided I have permissions I will see results from sites in both Farm B and Farm C

However trying to perform a People Search in both Farms B & C produce no results at all. Yet I know that this was working at one point.

Can anyone suggest where I might look to see where things might be failing.

Monday, May 28, 2012 3:53 PM

Answers

• To ensure communication with the domain, try doing and ldap test in farm B & C to ensure you can search for the accounts that way. Assuming that works, how are your domains setup? If you have more than one, try searching for users across multiple domains to verify whether or not this may be a forest-wide problem, or perhaps only a problem with one, or a couple, domains.

Next, do you have any one-way trusts in place? If so, take a look at this article for information regarding how to enable people search for users in that scenario: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263460(v=office.12).aspx

Finally, as suggested, take a look at log files when people searches are performed to see if any further information can be gathered. Additionally, if you are familiar with using and reading NetMon traces, you may want to try those to see what is being passed across the network as well when a people search is being performed.

Regards,

Jerad Plesuk
    Technical Support | SharePoint Technologies | Microsoft Corporation
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Friday, June 1, 2012 7:39 PM

All replies

• Hi etala,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.  There might be some time delay, appreciate your patience.

Thanks

Daniel Yang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 1, 2012 11:10 AM
  • I had the same issue but on a single SP server running all services.

I would suggest you start by checking the event viewer and moving onto the ULS logs. The forum has a better shot at helping you if you can narrow down the problem and post details.

Friday, June 1, 2012 12:14 PM
  • To ensure communication with the domain, try doing and ldap test in farm B & C to ensure you can search for the accounts that way. Assuming that works, how are your domains setup? If you have more than one, try searching for users across multiple domains to verify whether or not this may be a forest-wide problem, or perhaps only a problem with one, or a couple, domains.

Next, do you have any one-way trusts in place? If so, take a look at this article for information regarding how to enable people search for users in that scenario: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263460(v=office.12).aspx

Finally, as suggested, take a look at log files when people searches are performed to see if any further information can be gathered. Additionally, if you are familiar with using and reading NetMon traces, you may want to try those to see what is being passed across the network as well when a people search is being performed.

Regards,

Jerad Plesuk
    Technical Support | SharePoint Technologies | Microsoft Corporation
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Friday, June 1, 2012 7:39 PM