none
Individual Mail Box Backup and Restore RRS feed

• Question

• I have to to automate single mail box backup and restore in Exchange 2010. How can I achieve that in the best possible way. If single mail box backup is not possible is it possible to restore individual mails or mailbox from full Exchange db backup. My task is to retrieve/search individual mails/attachments from backup of exchange DB

Thanks,

Gagan

Friday, August 3, 2012 7:21 AM

All replies

• Are you planning to write code?  That's the focus of this forum.

In native Exchange, the only way that I know of to back up a single mailbox is to use New-MailboxExportRequest to make a PST.  You could automate this with a scheduled job.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607299.aspx

Many third-party backup programs offer single mailbox backup.  You didn't ask, but personally I've always thought that it (also known as brick backup) is a terrible idea.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Friday, August 3, 2012 11:49 PM
  • Thanks Ed for your reply.

Yes, I am planning to write code to provide a solution to a company that provides Exchange database backup storage facility.

They require that their clients are able to search and retrieve e-mails directly from the backup storage without the need of downloading and mounting the entire exchange database locally on their Exchange server.

The solution also needs to be efficient since the Exchange database backups are huge (300 GB or more). 

As of now I could only think of a solution in which we backup individual mailboxes by extracting them from the exchange database and compress and store all mailboxes in a backup.

When a request comes for a particular e-mail from a user, we restore that users mailbox to a temporary Exchange DB to serve users request. Is this possible without the need to first restore the entire Exchange db backup.

Thanks,

Gagan

Gagan

Saturday, August 4, 2012 4:25 AM
  • There are plenty of third-party products that already do this.  Of the ones I'm aware of, some extract the data directly from the mailbox using MAPI or Web Services, while others extract the data from Exchange backups.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Saturday, August 4, 2012 4:52 AM
  • Ed,

I have to make use of an Api or code that can be used to read offline edb file similar to the way that some third party products do i.e without mounting the edb file on Exchange 2010 server. How have these third party products manage to do so ? 

Thanks

Gagan

Gagan

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:49 AM
  • There is no supported way of reading an Exchange edb offline have a read of http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;904845 and http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdav_101/archive/2008/09/03/howto-read-unmounted-exchange-edb-files.aspx . That said i know these third parties like OnTrack OEM their solution but whatever way you go it will never be supported.

Cheers
    Glen

Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:21 AM
  • Where's the Lucid8 guy?  Doesn't he have any expertise to share, or is he only interested in pushing his product to potential buyers?

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:58 AM
  • Morning Ed, nice to know your thinking of us and our products  :-) 

Agree that there is no published API from MS for Exchange Granular Recovery (EGR) and therefore only way to accomplish this is to either backup each mailbox via MAPI i.e. Brick Level which is awful for a myriad of reasons or to use a 3rd party product or API of which there are only a few available including Lucid8's or I suppose to try and develop your own if you have the expertise and time.

If you look at our Exchange Protection Manager product you will see that it has the ability to extract granular items from a standard VSS database level backup and we did this using the DigiScope API http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.as

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers with Lucid8's DigiScope

Friday, August 24, 2012 12:23 PM