Visual Studio 2008 and 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• User-373571878 posted

Hello,

I have a new laptop which I installed Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2012.

One of my applications connects to an Oracle database. The program is written in VS 2008, but I eventually want to convert to VS 2012.

In the past I had to rebuild my old pc, then a laptop, now a new laptop and I am always confused by what Oracle product (lingo) I need: Oracle data provider/Client or data reader in order for my web app to connect to the oracle database. 

Question 1)  What do I need to download, the Oracle Data Provider, or Reader or Client? 

Perhaps the Oracle Provider and Reader are the same thing?

Question 2)  Now that I have two different versions of Visual Studio on the new laptop, is there a common version of Oracle for both, or will I need to download separate versions depending upon the .Net Framework? 

I checked my old laptop and I had this file in my download folder: ODTwithODAC112021  plus a download folder for another ODAC? 

But I may have downloaded more than I need.   So in order for my program to connect to an Oracle database and pull information from it...what do I install?

Provider, Reader, Client, ODP, ODA, ODAC?

Thanks for your time

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 3:11 PM

Answers

• User269602965 posted

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/downloads/net-downloads-160392.html

Install the Oracle Data Access Components 12cR3 of later and select the CLIENT INSTALLATION option. (the classic Unmanaged driver version)

I would not install the Visual Studio Tools since you have two version of Visual Studio, I am uncertain of the outcome.

(you do not need the tools anyway, just the client and the driver).

If you are not operating in a FIPS-140 compliant environment, you can use the new MANAGED DRIVER which has the client build into the DLL and is bitness independent.  You just need the TNSNAMES.ORA and the managed driver in your /BIN directory, and with some additional setting in Web.config or app.config you are good to go for console, WinForm, WPF, and ASPX apps.  The driver is relatively new and not full featured yet, but is fine for standard read and write to database functionality.

If you are operating in a FIPS-140 compliant environment, the MANAGED DRIVER will only work with the Oracle 12C database.

Otherwise you can use the traditional UNMANAGED ODAC driver, optionally installed in the /BIN folder of app with local reference or install in the GAC.

The READER is a function of the Oracle Data Access driver.

The 12C driver can connect to Oracle 12c, 11g, 10g, and (maybe earlier but I never tried that).

It can work with .NET 2.0 (use 2.0 driver version) or .NET 3.5 / 4.0 (using the 4.0 driver version).

You can download the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version, and compile to that environment.

Of course READING AND PLANNING to understand the requirements will reduce frustration of installation and implementation.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2015 10:08 PM

All replies

• User269602965 posted

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/downloads/net-downloads-160392.html

Install the Oracle Data Access Components 12cR3 of later and select the CLIENT INSTALLATION option. (the classic Unmanaged driver version)

I would not install the Visual Studio Tools since you have two version of Visual Studio, I am uncertain of the outcome.

(you do not need the tools anyway, just the client and the driver).

If you are not operating in a FIPS-140 compliant environment, you can use the new MANAGED DRIVER which has the client build into the DLL and is bitness independent.  You just need the TNSNAMES.ORA and the managed driver in your /BIN directory, and with some additional setting in Web.config or app.config you are good to go for console, WinForm, WPF, and ASPX apps.  The driver is relatively new and not full featured yet, but is fine for standard read and write to database functionality.

If you are operating in a FIPS-140 compliant environment, the MANAGED DRIVER will only work with the Oracle 12C database.

Otherwise you can use the traditional UNMANAGED ODAC driver, optionally installed in the /BIN folder of app with local reference or install in the GAC.

The READER is a function of the Oracle Data Access driver.

The 12C driver can connect to Oracle 12c, 11g, 10g, and (maybe earlier but I never tried that).

It can work with .NET 2.0 (use 2.0 driver version) or .NET 3.5 / 4.0 (using the 4.0 driver version).

You can download the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version, and compile to that environment.

Of course READING AND PLANNING to understand the requirements will reduce frustration of installation and implementation.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2015 10:08 PM
  • User-373571878 posted

Thanks Lannie,

I re-asked this question, as I forgot I had posted it in May. 

On the download site there are:

64 bit ODAC 12c R3 Xcopy (???) for Windows x64. 

and 64 bit ODAC 12c R3 for windows x64.

what is xcopy? I am assuming I would choose the 2nd option that has a zip file of ODAC121021_x64.zip?

I am still confused as to which  download to take!  thanks

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 11:38 AM