64 bit RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am gathering information about Sahrepoint on 64 bit machine.

If we migrate to Windows 2003 (Standard Edition ) 64 bit..SQL Server 2005 (Standard Edition ) 64 bit then there would be any problem/issue with sharepoint/Sql server/os ?

Monday, December 10, 2007 3:12 PM

Answers

• For our company, that's what we're currently doing.  We're going from SPS2003 (32-bit) + SQL Server 2000 (32-bit) to MOSS (64-bit) + SQL Server 2005 (64-bit).  Also, Windows Server 2003 Enterprise (32-bit) to Windows Server 2003 Enterprise (64-bit).  From our research, there won't be any issues that'll effect us.  You should be good to go.

Monday, December 10, 2007 3:39 PM
  • I have configured quite a few 64-bit environments, and they all run very well, generally speaking you should have no issues, the most common issue however is that some iFilters don't support 64-bit (hence you can't crawl metadata for those specific iFilters) a good example is the Adobe PDF iFilter, which only runs on a 32-bit system.

You can run just a 32-bit index server, however there are a couple options, such as Foxitsoftware have a 64-bit PDF iFilter (available at a cost) or more recently Adobe have a "workaround" to run the 32-bit version is 64-bit Windows, however I think you'll find Microsoft software will be limited in such a configuration.

Basically, 64-bit and SharePoint will work fine, you just need to verify that any additional components are 64-bit compatible.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:39 AM

All replies

• For our company, that's what we're currently doing.  We're going from SPS2003 (32-bit) + SQL Server 2000 (32-bit) to MOSS (64-bit) + SQL Server 2005 (64-bit).  Also, Windows Server 2003 Enterprise (32-bit) to Windows Server 2003 Enterprise (64-bit).  From our research, there won't be any issues that'll effect us.  You should be good to go.

Monday, December 10, 2007 3:39 PM
  • I have configured quite a few 64-bit environments, and they all run very well, generally speaking you should have no issues, the most common issue however is that some iFilters don't support 64-bit (hence you can't crawl metadata for those specific iFilters) a good example is the Adobe PDF iFilter, which only runs on a 32-bit system.

You can run just a 32-bit index server, however there are a couple options, such as Foxitsoftware have a 64-bit PDF iFilter (available at a cost) or more recently Adobe have a "workaround" to run the 32-bit version is 64-bit Windows, however I think you'll find Microsoft software will be limited in such a configuration.

Basically, 64-bit and SharePoint will work fine, you just need to verify that any additional components are 64-bit compatible.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:39 AM