none
Using Sockets in Visual Basic with Visual Studio 2015 Universal Apps RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to find out if it is even possible to use Sockets to communicate between two computers using Visual Basic in a Windows Universal App (Visual Studio 2015). I have not found any examples on how to set up a server and a client in Visual Basic.

I want to be able to write games where there is a central computer that displays a gameboard and each player has a tablet or laptop that displays their cards or objects that are hidden from the other players and allows them to play those cards or some other events when it is their turn. One application would be a simple Poker game where the player gets cards and makes bets.

I believe this can be accomplished with sockets but I can't figure out how to set up the server and clients to do the functions I need. I was able to create simple client but without a server to listen for it I can't really test it.

I am getting stuck on trying to create a streamSocketListener with a ConnectionRecieved event.

I would appreciate any help on how to do this, specifically in Visual Basic (or to know if Visual Basic even supports this)

Let me know if you need any more information but I am looking for an example that will set up a server that will listen for players to joint the game, send them data as to what cards they have and receive actions from the players.

Thanks

Thursday, November 26, 2015 3:48 PM

Answers

All replies