none
Is it already possible to connect multiple Kinect 2.0 to the same computer? RRS feed

• Question

• I know it was not feasible, but I would like to know if there has been any progress in this direction. Thank you very much!

Friday, September 4, 2015 11:28 AM

All replies

• Nope, nothing has changed in the official SDK. There is still the "one Kinect 2 per PC" limitation and it doesn't look like that's going to change in the foreseeable future.

There is an alternative (open source) driver: libfreenect2. It can run multiple Kinect 2 on the same PC (someone claimed he ran 6 Kinect 2 at the same time on the same PC), but it lacks the more advanced features of the official SDK like body-/joint-tracking. It only provides depth and RGB images.

Friday, September 4, 2015 12:24 PM
  • Anyone actually tried multi-sensors with libfreenect2?

I've heard that claim indeed but haven't heard of anyone actually trying and/or achieving.

Brekel

Friday, September 4, 2015 12:38 PM
  • Yeah. I ran two at a time myself. Others ran 4 or 5. But you still can only run one Kincet 2 per USB 3.0 controller. So you'll need lots of extension cards. See libfreenect2 issue #320 for some discussion.
    • Proposed as answer by benwa7 Wednesday, September 9, 2015 8:23 AM
    Friday, September 4, 2015 1:59 PM
  • Cool, thanks for the confirmation. May give it a spin myself then as well.

Brekel

Friday, September 4, 2015 2:10 PM
  • Slightly off topic but I've run an Intel RealSense F200 simultaneous with Kinect 2.0. The downside is the Kinect IR drowns out the F200 IR.

Switching between two Kinect devices on one PC with only one active at a time would have applications - has anyone got this to work? Likewise if the second Kinect only gave a depth stream, there are applications.

Useful to hear a reply from Microsoft - its almost a year since SDK 2.0 was released and we now have developments such as Windows 10, USB 3.1 and Skylake processors.

Friday, September 4, 2015 5:53 PM