none
Problem with scrollbars in VBA Editor RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I've been coding in the VBA editor for more years than I care to admit.  Very recently, I've run into a problem within the editor itself that is new to me.  Simply put, the vertical and horizontal scrollbars in the code windows no longer work.  Everything else does: page up/down, mouse scroll wheel, home/end, etc.  If I click on a scrollbar or try to drag it down/across, nothing happens. Very weird.  Same behavior whether I'm using the mouse or stylus.  No other applications seem to be exhibiting this behavior.

I'm running Office 2016 and Windows 10.  This problem only affects code windows--Project and Properties windows seem to be working normally.  Working around the scrollbar issue is a significant pain.  My question is: how do I fix this?

Thanks for your help!

Richard

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:32 PM

All replies

• Have you tried repairing the installation?
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 11:07 PM
  • Hi mogulman52.  Yes, I tried both the quick and online repair methods.  Didn't fix the problem.  Thanks for the interest!
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 2:58 AM
  • I haven't come across quite that but try this

Start with Office all apps and the VBE closed, 
    delete or rename this key -

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\6.0\Common\Dock

When you open the VBE a new key will be created with default VBE window settings

Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:25 AM
  • Hi Peter,

I tried your suggestion and created a new key.  Still having the same problem--nothing has changed as far as I can tell.

Thanks for your help!

Richard

Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:55 PM
  • That's a shame, resetting the key fixes some VBE window problems but I'm out of ideas!

Is it the same problem with all Office apps, Excel, Word, etc?

Any recent updates between the last known time it worked and failed?

Friday, April 28, 2017 8:26 AM
  • I assume the scroll wheel works.  Something is intercepting the scrollbar events.  Things I would try:

1. Use CCleaner (free) to clean registry. 

2. Disable Trust access to VBE editor object model (in trust settings).

3. Disable addins.

4. Uninstall recent programs you have installed.  Clean registry afterwards.

5. Did you install the Creator's update?  I've heard the Creator's update has caused several MS programs to fail.  I have it and haven't had a problem but others have.

Friday, April 28, 2017 1:57 PM
  • Hi Peter.  To answer your first question: the problem is isolated to Excel.  The code windows in Outlook and Access (haven't checked Word) scroll normally.

For your second question, I first noticed the weird behavior after installing the Creator's update.  I'm reluctant to say "Aha!" and point a finger at it because often times these things end up not being related.

Friday, April 28, 2017 2:29 PM
  • Hi mogulman,

Well put.  Something is indeed intercepting the scroll bar events--but only in Excel.  Weird.  I haven't used CCleaner to clean the registry but I will do this sometime later today.  I tried #2 (disable trust access to VBE editor) but it didn't have any effect on the problem.  The only major thing I've done since the problem started was to install the Creator's update.

Again, thanks for your help.

Friday, April 28, 2017 2:34 PM
  • Hi, I am experiencing the same problem and have uninstalled Creator, remove Dock key but I still can't drag the scrollbars. Anyone with a solution would be very much appreciated - it gets really inconvenient when you have a long and wide code. Thanks
    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 3:15 AM
  • I guess it's nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.  Like you said, it isn't a show-stopper, but it's very inconvenient.  Please let me know if you find something that works via a separate thread/forum.

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 2:16 PM
  • Richard55Jax, I have the same problem. The scroll bars no longer work in the Visual Basic Editor code window for Excel, but work everywhere else in Excel and the editor. I can't figure-out the cause or solution, but I know exactly what I was doing when it "broke". Perhaps someone can make sense of it. I was using my mouse on the code editor vertical scroll bar, and dragging the scroll bar down and was very near the bottom of the module, approaching the Immediate Window, when my finger slipped or relaxed on the left mouse button, such that I very briefly released the left button, but then I quickly depressed the left button and accidentally hit something near the down arrow (of the vertical scroll bar) or the right arrow (of the horizontal scroll bar), although I think I clicked in the little gray box where those two arrows point or meet. The scroll bars immediately became unresponsive, and I can't get them back. Any ideas?
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 2:28 AM
  • I have noticed in Object Browser (F2) that the scrollbar works fine. However, Excel hangs when I tried to slide and adjust the frame between Classes and Memebers of '<global>'. The slide can't be released and got stuck. Not sure if this has got to do with the overall scrollbar issue.
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 4:35 AM
  • someone has already reported the same to MS Feedback Hub 3 weeks ago https://aka.ms/Fdgewi
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 8:17 AM
  • Just another data point for this.  I installed the Creators update end-of-day last Friday, now Monday morning my Excel VBA Scrollbars not working as described.  Everything else seems fine.  
    Monday, May 22, 2017 2:10 PM
  • Creators appears to be a common factor, in this thread at least!
    Monday, May 22, 2017 7:35 PM
  • I have to agree, even though it's a small number of data points!
    Monday, May 22, 2017 7:55 PM
  • Having exactly the same problem post creator update.
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 1:55 PM
  • Is it just Office 2016?  I'm not having the problem with Office 2010.
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 7:01 PM
  • I can confirm that the problem exists for me and I am using Office 2016 (Office365 to be precise).   
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 6:19 AM
  • I use Office 2016 (Office 365 subscription) exclusively, so I can't say if earlier versions are affected.
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 6:48 PM
  • Same here regarding the Office365 subscription.  The only thing time-wise I can point to is the problem started immediately after the Creators Update.  I'm a big believer in "correlation doesn't imply causation" but it's the most obvious thing to look at.  As -OoO- pointed out above, the problem was reported to the MS Feedback hub but there's been no reply I'm aware of.

Anyone have any suggestions about getting the right kind of attention?  

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 6:51 PM
  • Maybe we should just make our points here https://aka.ms/Fdgewi for MS to take the issue seriously.

Sunday, May 28, 2017 5:42 AM
  • Hi

I have the same problem with the VBA Editor. Is there a solution by now?

Thanks a lot.

Klaus

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 1:17 PM
  • Hi, same problem here as well.
    Sunday, June 11, 2017 3:02 PM
  • No one has come up with a solution that I'm aware of.  Frustrating.  If you haven't already, post to the Feedback Hub at https://aka.ms/Fdgewi.
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 12:04 AM
  • I have the same problem since 14 July 2017 following a routine Windows update. Unable to fix it until now. I also wonder if this has something to do with particular computer models. Below is a letter I have prepared to MS and Lenovo, which describes my experience with this so far and may contribute in finding a solution sooner than later:

05 August 2017

Jointly To:           Microsoft Corporation Management - Developers of VBA for Excel

And

Lenovo Group Management

RE: Malfunction of VBA Editor Scrollbars in Microsoft Excel on Lenovo Yoga

Laptop Computer

My name is Miho Mihov. I live in Australia and work as a bridge structural engineer. I use extensively Microsoft Excel in conjunction with VBA for my work.

I bought a new Lenovo Yoga laptop computer in May 2017 - nearly top of the range. Specs are as shown on the attached picture.

The only software I had installed was PDFXChange Editor - licensed version and a trial version of Google SketchUp.

Office 365, for which I have annual subscription, came already installed, I just had to sign in.

Up until the Windows update on 14 July 2017 everything was working fine. Immediately after the update I opened Excel and tried to use the VBA editor as I usually do. I discovered that both scrollbars of the editor were frozen – a major inconvenience. The scrollbars everywhere else were working, including other Office products like Word.

I looked for help online, Microsoft included. Using live chat, a Microsoft representative remotely accessed my computer, however was unable to fix the problem. I was advised to use professional support from Microsoft in my country - Australia.

I called the provided phone number, it happened to be a call centre in the Philippines. The operator struggled to find ‘resources’ with ability to address the problem. The telephone connection dropped out four times and I gave up. It was clear to me that the team there, like the MS live chat support, were not equipped to deal with a problem like this.

I managed to call another day and was told that in my situation I had to pay $390 to refer the problem to a professional engineer. For a private user, this is a significant expense, relative to the overall cost of the computer itself and I do not believe it is fair. This is not a fault of my own. Also, there is no guarantee that the problem would be fixed and the cost could keep escalating.

In trying to find a solution so far, I have done the following, none of which have worked:

• Rebooted the computer

• Restored the system to the point before the update which potentially triggered the problem

• Updated Office

• Completely uninstalled and then installed Office

Then I went for the more radical solution – I performed a recovery to factory settings on 22 July 2017. Copy of Office was installed there prior to the purchase, so I just activated it. Not surprisingly this time it worked – I was able to use the scroll bars of the VBA editor for Excel again.

However, just about ten minutes later a notification appeared at the lower right corner which said that an update of Office was available and to click to install it. So, I clicked and the updates were installed. Unfortunately, the two scrollbars froze again and this time I don’t think I can do anything. Now I am almost 100% convinced it is a problem which was created by the latest Office update.

I use this feature of VBA for Excel practically every day and not having it is a serious problem, it slows down the process many times. Until now I cannot continue working and I am in the middle of a project which is very important to me and my company.

It is obvious Microsoft did not intentionally disable these two scrollbars. I provided a feedback using the Feedback Hub as well. That facility is used for general improvements and suggestions. The chances are my feedback will be overlooked, so I do not believe this will help. I also notified Excel using Messenger, however no reply so far.

It should be noted that I have Office installed on two other computers, one is MAC and the other Sony VAIO, both laptops. The software is always up to date and I find the problem described above does not exist there.

Although other reasons cannot be ruled out, it appears that latest Microsoft Office updates, Excel in particular, have created a conflict with the settings for Lenovo Yoga 720-13IKB and potentially with other computer models.

I found online that many other users had exactly the same issue, so far unresolved. The following link is one of these examples:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9a3fbb47-80f0-40b9-b3f5-2c81e3c737da/problem-with-scrollbars-in-vba-editor?forum=isvvb

I would like to appeal to anyone who can help find a solution to the problem described above to contact me. My email is miho_mihov@hotmail.com.

To Microsoft Corporation and Lenovo Group – please resolve the issue as soon as possible to relieve the pain many users are going through now.

Your assistance will be very much appreciated.

Best Regards

Miho Mihov

Email: miho_mihov@hotmail.com

Friday, August 4, 2017 9:09 PM
  • Add me to the list having the same problem

Microsoft 365 and creator update just installed a few days ago.

Guy

Guy

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 12:58 AM
  • I also have this problem following the Creators update.  However this only occurs on my Surface and not on my Dell! I look forward to a solution from MS.
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 7:21 AM
  • Hello Miho,

Good letter. It appears the common factors with others affected who've posted in this thread remain Office 365 and the Win10 1703 update, aka Creators. Those who've specified further say only their Excel is affected, not other Office apps.

Perhaps you could clarify if you have 365 and the if update you referred to, after which you first experienced the problem, was the 1703. Also if the VBE in all office apps is affected or only Excel.

I had the 1703 update about a month ago and have Office 2016/64, but not 365, I am still unaffected.

Given the extent of consistent reports here and elsewhere it's curious nobody from Microsoft has added anything to this thread, even if only to say it's being investigated. If anyone from MS does read this I'm sure it'd be appreciated if they advise their support teams not to request $390 from affected users to investigate this issue.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 7:56 AM
  • Thanks Peter for the sympathy. I can't recall if that was the Creators update because since then I restored the computer to factory settings. I know the date - 14 July 2017. When I first restored the system to the restore point before that date, I clearly remember it said 'critical update'. It should be noted that after restoring to factory settings, the scrollbars started working and 10 minutes later Office 365 only was updated, not Windows. That is when the scrollbars were disabled again. In my opinion it is the Office 365 update which caused the problem. So far only VBA for Excel editor is affected, including the Immediate window. The rest seem to be working. I tested VBA Editor for Word, no problem there. We have Mac and Sony VAIO laptops at home, both about 3.5 years old. Sony had Windows 8 on it, later upgraded to 10. Both have Office 365 on them and always up to date. This problem does not exist there.

I contacted Lenovo Support. A technical support engineer spent one and a half hour on the computer using remote access. He could not fix it. At least he allowed me to send an email to them so that they can seek further help and escalate the issue. 

Microsoft don't seem to care so far and it appears that they cannot be forced to act. 

It sound more like "I will create a problem for you and then you pay me to fix it for you".

I contacted them 5 or 6 times already and also gave them the link to this thread. By now, as you say, they should have at least acknowledged the problem exists.

I think this should be classified as false advertising - pretending to provide services, which is clearly not true in this situation.

Anyway, if they cannot be moved, we may have to think of alternatives. Not sure yet what else is around though.

Fingers crossed , hopefully, after a bit more noise, they will do something. The group here seems to be growing, maybe soon we can contact the media, potentially consider even a class action.

Thank you again.

Miho Mihov

• Proposed as answer by DavidatCarvel Monday, August 14, 2017 11:04 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by DavidatCarvel Monday, August 14, 2017 11:04 AM
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 1:16 PM
  • Hi,

Great letter, Miho.

I have similarly come across this problem, and as a result of Creator Update (using Win 10 Home on Parallels on my MBP).

As a workaround, I have installed MZ-Tools, and use the Code Explorer that allows me to move around from sub/function quickly when in large code modules or classes.

Hope this helps whilst MS update the VB Editor (v7), though given they are trying to move us away from VBA and to Office extensions using VS, I think we may be waiting a while!

Thanks,

-david

Monday, August 14, 2017 11:08 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

I'm also having the same issues, scroll bars not working and trying to work on log codes, which gets frustrating.

What I can tell you is I have two work areas, my desktop and I use citrix as a platform, both running excel 2016, 

in citrix I can use the scroll bars, however when working on desktop, with the same programme the scroll bars do not work, therefore I can make the assumption it is not excel 2016 that's the problem.

I can therefore assume its windows 10 that is causing the issue, as citrix is a platform its not running windows 10, and therefore scroll bars are working.

The frustrating part is sometimes I work offline due to wifi and this is where it gets annoying as the scrolls don't work.

I know its not an answer guys, but may help in closing this issue.

lets keep talking and hopefully we will get to the bottom of this.

As excel 2016 is still in development I've had issues where macros stop working, it was causing so much problems at the start that it was easier to put our computers back to excel 2013 so we had a solid platform .

Very frustrating and annoying!!

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 9:42 AM
  • Hope this helps whilst MS update the VB Editor (v7), though given they are trying to move us away from VBA and to Office extensions using VS, 

That may have been a long term aim when .Net was introduced but in recent years MS has several times reaffirmed its commitment to support VBA for the foreseeable future.
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 11:50 AM
  • I have just received (Aug. 17, 2017) a new laptop with Excel 2016 and have noted the same problem with the vertical scroll bar nto functioning.

This a very frustrating issue!

Saturday, September 2, 2017 9:09 PM
  • Hi,

The Compatibility troubleshooter was worked for me.

Monday, September 11, 2017 10:34 PM
  • That worked for me as well! I guess it's the solution ...
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 11:48 PM
  • Hi,

The Compatibility troubleshooter was worked for me.

I used the Compatibility troubleshooter and yes it did correct the VBA non functioning scroll bar issue.
    Not a solution as Steve D Original suggested.

However, it created other issues:
    Excel won't open without displaying UAC warning.
    Displaying Excel will not allow Windows 10 task bar to popup.
    Unable to double click Excel file name in Windows File explorer and load excel file... Excel shows without any worksheet appearing.

Does anyone know how to get back to just the issue of the VBA scroll bars not working?????

I've uninstalled and reinstalled MS Office 2016 twice and same problems exist.

I just tried adding another user account and from that account the above 3 issues do not exist, but the VBA non functioning scroll bar issue remains.

I'm frustrated and don't know what to do correct these issues!!!!

Saturday, September 23, 2017 12:47 AM
  • I've just set up a Surface with Office 2016 365 version and frustratingly I have the same problem with the scroll bars in VBE. I thought that I could live with it but it is a real pain and a solution would be nice. I'll keep an eye on this thread for a solution. I am loathe to try the Compatibility solution as it seems to cause other problems.
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:43 PM
  • I am having the same problem... Microsoft please solve this problem. The scrolling issue is indeed frustrating !!

• Edited by wesoon77 Tuesday, September 26, 2017 5:34 PM
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 5:33 PM
  • Compatibility hasn't caused problems for me yet...

As a side note I'm also running a Surface. I notice I can drag the screen with my fingers and scroll to the right. I wonder if the scroll function is being impeded by the screens ability to scroll, perhaps it's interrupting the normal code flow.

Saturday, September 30, 2017 6:24 AM
  • I'm facing the same issue: excel 2016 1708 8431.2094 / windows 10 Pro 1703
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:40 PM
  • The issue is solved with the latest update of Windows 10 KB4041676 !

For more infomation: see

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/18926551-vba-code-window-scroll-bar-not-working-under-window

BR,

Christophe

Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:26 AM
  • Hurray, finally, after more than 3 months, Microsoft acted.

I tried it today and it works - a big relief. Hope it is a lasting solution.

Regards

Miho

Thursday, October 12, 2017 11:25 AM
  • A belated woo-hoo for MS fixing the problem!

Thanks to everyone for voicing their concern in an intelligent, civil manner.

Best wishes for a great 2018 and beyond,

Richard

Saturday, December 16, 2017 7:39 PM
  • Sadly, I am experiencing this problem on my Surface Book 2, even though it is running 1709. I have found that hand touch scrolling works, and if I left click the scroll bar and move the slider it works, but NOT two finger scrolling on the Touch-pad.

VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!

• Edited by JBlyth Friday, January 26, 2018 2:25 AM
    Friday, January 26, 2018 2:23 AM