Workflow Issue : Email sender display name not as the same as alert email sender RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Support,

we customized a workflow for sending alert to some user when someone create a new item in the specified document library. 

what we already done as below

1. the email sender address has been setup at "Central Administrator", for example "test@abc.com".

2. team site title is "Customer Center Platform".

3. we customized a new workflow to trigger system send a email to recipient when someone create a new record.

what we expected is 

Recipient will got a email which send from "test@abc.com", the email display name should be "Customer Center Platform [test@abc.com]", but in this case, the display name is "test@abc.com".

it's been our experience that when we used "Alert Me" function, system will send the email and used "Customer Center Platform [test@abc.com]" as email display name.

we want to change workflow email sender display name, what can we do? we are looking forward to your advice, many thanks.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:34 AM

Answers

• Hello,

There is nothing wrong in WF and if you getting email then WF is working as expected.

As i said earlier, To change display name of from address you might need to change the setting of exchange server for that from address. I am not exchange expert that's why i have suggested one link in my previous post to get some idea.

As per my knowledge there is no such settings available in sharepoint or workflow so i would suggest you contact to your exchange guy or wait for someone reply who can help you.

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

• Marked as answer by Christy Zhou Friday, May 23, 2014 6:21 AM
    Friday, May 16, 2014 4:24 AM
  • Then you need to create custom WF or event handler to send email, where you can provide friendly name to FROM.

http://www.systemwebmail.com/faq/2.4.aspx

I don't know any other OOTB way to achieve this.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

• Marked as answer by Christy Zhou Friday, May 23, 2014 6:22 AM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 5:48 AM

All replies

• Hello,

>we customized a workflow

Could you tell us more about your WF type and how did you customize the WF. I guess you need configure the exchange server settings but i am not sure. You might want o check this post for ref:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/da66fe03-3342-41bf-849d-bda86a49990b/email-notification-sender-name-or-title-shown-as-site-name

Thursday, May 15, 2014 11:05 AM
  • Dear Hemendra,

thanks for your reply.

we follow the below guide to setup the workflow step by step

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/publicsector/archive/2007/05/22/document-workflow-how-to-sending-an-email-with-sharepoint-2007-moss.aspx

we used "Send an email" Action, the recipient can receive email, but the email sender's display name is "test@abc.com", we want to change to "Customer Center Platform [test@abc.com]".

There is a native "Alert me" function under sharepoint team site, we compared the email sender display name, we found the display name in "Alert me" notification email is "Customer Center Platform [test@abc.com]". 

we have no idea what is wrong when we setup the workflow.

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:50 AM
  • Hello,

There is nothing wrong in WF and if you getting email then WF is working as expected.

As i said earlier, To change display name of from address you might need to change the setting of exchange server for that from address. I am not exchange expert that's why i have suggested one link in my previous post to get some idea.

As per my knowledge there is no such settings available in sharepoint or workflow so i would suggest you contact to your exchange guy or wait for someone reply who can help you.

• Marked as answer by Christy Zhou Friday, May 23, 2014 6:21 AM
    Friday, May 16, 2014 4:24 AM
  • Dear Hemendra,

thanks for your suggestion.

we contacted our exchange server support, it's not lucky, they concerned that so many teamsite used a same account to send email, so cannot change the display name for us.

Howsoever, thanks you very much.

Friday, May 16, 2014 6:40 AM
  • Then you need to create custom WF or event handler to send email, where you can provide friendly name to FROM.

http://www.systemwebmail.com/faq/2.4.aspx

I don't know any other OOTB way to achieve this.

• Marked as answer by Christy Zhou Friday, May 23, 2014 6:22 AM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 5:48 AM