none
Does Castle Windsor require IIS RRS feed

• Question

• I have been working on a WCF client and simulating the WCF service  that will be provided by another party. I was basically finished with the client, using a WCF service hosted in a console app. I expected to make changes in the names and parameters of the various calls, and perhaps add and subtract some service calls as well.

When the other company delivered the API (not the finished service), I discovered that certain key parameters were not included in the calls at all, but rather provided via dependency injection. After pulling several more teeth, I learned they are using Castle Windsor to handle the dependency injection.

Everything I have read so far about Castle Windsor involves IIS.

My first question is (I'm sure I will have follow-up questions)...

On the service side, must Castle Windsor be hosted in IIS, or can it be used with a WCF service hosted in a console app?

Thanks,

Jon Jacobs
    In transmission, subatomic particles managed by professionals.
    No innocent electrons were harmed.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 7:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Jon,
       According to your case, I suggest you to refer the following links which may guide you to resolve this case :

1. Click here to refer about Nonhttp WCF services in IIS and Castle Windsor

2. Click here to refer about Register WCF Service components in Castle Windsor

3. Click here to refer about Castle WCF Facility

4. Click here to know more about Dependency Injection in WCF using Castle Windsor

• Marked as answer by Jon Q Jacobs Thursday, June 18, 2015 12:10 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2015 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Jon,
       According to your case, I suggest you to refer the following links which may guide you to resolve this case :

1. Click here to refer about Nonhttp WCF services in IIS and Castle Windsor

2. Click here to refer about Register WCF Service components in Castle Windsor

3. Click here to refer about Castle WCF Facility

4. Click here to know more about Dependency Injection in WCF using Castle Windsor

• Marked as answer by Jon Q Jacobs Thursday, June 18, 2015 12:10 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2015 7:12 AM
  • >Nonhttp WCF services in IIS and Castle Windsor

This adds support to the belief that Castle Windsor can only be used with a service under IIS. However I am using http.

>Register WCF Service components in Castle Windsor

This provides an example of a self-hosted WCF service with Castle Windsor. Thank you! Thank you!

Also thank you for the other great links.

Jon Jacobs

Thursday, June 18, 2015 12:14 PM
  • Everything I have read so far about Castle Windsor involves IIS.

Castle Windor is an IoC like Unity and other IoC's that have nothing to do with IIS.

Thursday, June 18, 2015 2:26 PM
  • >Castle Windor is an IoC like Unity and other IoC's that have nothing to do with IIS.

Yes, that is what I would have expected. However, every example I could find involved registering with IIS.

Thanks to Edwin's answer, I have a link to a self-hosted example of using Castle Windsor.

Thank you,

Jon Jacobs

Thursday, June 18, 2015 2:37 PM
  • >Castle Windor is an IoC like Unity and other IoC's that have nothing to do with IIS.

Yes, that is what I would have expected. However, every example I could find involved registering with IIS.

Thanks to Edwin's answer, I have a link to a self-hosted example of using Castle Windsor.

Thank you,

Jon Jacobs

I don't know what you are reading. An IoC works on any class that implements an Interface that can be in any type of project that CW is implemented.in it, However, CW doesn't work with VB.NET. I tried to use CW in a ASP.NET MVC VB.NET solution and it wouldn't work. It had no problem in C# in a MVC solution.
    Saturday, June 20, 2015 2:02 PM
  • >CW doesn't work with VB.NET.

I have been using C# exclusively. Strictly WCF services, nor full web apps.

>I don't know what you are reading.

I googled "Castle Windsor" + C#. The first x references with example code all showed hosting of web apps in IIS, so that led me to wonder if that particular library required IIS on the server side. An answer to this thread linked me to a self-hosting example, which was what I needed.

Thanks,

Jon Jacobs

Monday, June 22, 2015 3:32 PM