none
Suppress .exe file from being created in Debug Mode

Question

• I'm running Visual Studio 2015 and C++. Is there a way to suppress the creation of the .exe file when the configuration is set to "Debug"?  Currently an .exe file is getting created in the "Debug" project folder. If I recall correctly in some older versions of Visual Studio the .exe file only got created when the configuration was set to "Release"; when the configuration was set to "Debug" the .exe did not get created. How can I suppress the creation of the .exe file when the configuration is set to "Debug"?
    Monday, September 26, 2016 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Dave,

According to your description, we could not suppress the .exe file after building the project.

And I have checked the options in Tools->Debugging->Output Window, there is no options for your idea.

If you want to clear the .exe file in Debug folder, you could clean the project by right-clicking the project name and choose Clean, then the .exe file will be cleaned in Debug folder.

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 6:52 AM

All replies

• Is there a way to suppress the creation of the .exe file when the configuration is set to "Debug"? 

Why would you want to do that?
    If you don't want the debug EXE, don't build the debug configuration.

If I recall correctly in some older versions of Visual Studio the .exe file only got created when the configuration was set to "Release"

I don't recall any such option.

Dave

Monday, September 26, 2016 8:31 PM
  • Hi Dave,

According to your description, we could not suppress the .exe file after building the project.

And I have checked the options in Tools->Debugging->Output Window, there is no options for your idea.

If you want to clear the .exe file in Debug folder, you could clean the project by right-clicking the project name and choose Clean, then the .exe file will be cleaned in Debug folder.

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 6:52 AM