Run VB app from URL RRS feed

• Question

• I just put a VB executable file into the home directory for my web server to try this, and ran the URL which led to the .exe.  It actually popped up a window which showed the splash screen for my app, but then it hit an error, which doesn't surprise me.  Is there any way to do that so that you could type in a URL and run my application instead of saving it to your computer and running it there?  Is that a publish option or is it not possible?
    Friday, April 28, 2006 2:45 PM

All replies

• Hey blake. It sounds like you've already got it working. The error that you received was because when your application is run from a remote URL it runs under restricted privileges. Your application did something, perhaps accessing a file, registry or other restricted access and did not do it appropriately.

Please visit this article on No-touch deployment in the .NET Framework for more information. Pay special attention to the 2 sections labeled "Security" and "Optional: How to set the Security Policies". Once you've read that try to do some research based off of that and look at your application and see if you can modify it accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Friday, April 28, 2006 3:52 PM
  • Thanks, I looked at that information.  It said that restrictions don't allow the application to access another server, which could be a problem because my application accesses a site to get the weather.  That link didn't say if there was any way around that.  I tried running this line, which was mentioned in that article:

caspol -machine -addgroup All_Code -url http://localhost/* FullTrust -n TaskManagement

It added the security policy, but that didn't change anything.

I just ran the debugger and this was the error.

An unhandled exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

Additional information: An error occurred creating the form. See Exception.InnerException for details.  The error is: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.UIPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

Friday, April 28, 2006 7:54 PM