workflow designer RRS feed

• Question

• hi everyone.

i am working in real company that deploy workflow designer to client with specific activity using vb.net.

my question after complete the designer how i can get the client ability to deal with .xoml,.rule and .vb files if our client dont have a good experiance to deal withit plz i have a good answer.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 9:29 AM

Answers

• The workflow designer is targeted at developers. It shows concepts like XAML and code to the user. Some business users do not want to interact with code at this level. If I understand you correctly, your clients want to arrange activities created for them by developers, not author activities.

The WF designer does support custom activities, but it will show code and XAML. We are aware of your use case and are considering making authoring workflows easier for the non-developer. The exact plan for delivering this functionality has not been set yet.

In the mean time you can host the WF designer in your own app and customize it to meet your requirements. There is a sample on MSDN.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480213.aspx

WF does support long running workflows; weeks if you want to. You can search MSDN for samples on how to write these workflows and how to host them.  This link may help:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/06/03/CuttingEdge/

Monday, March 26, 2007 10:55 PM

All replies

• The current WF designer is targeted at developers. I am assuming your clients are professionals who are not interested or capable of modifying the internals of a workflow in a meaningful way. For them the designer is too powerful.

Is this correct?

Lorenz Prem

Program Manager - Microsoft

Monday, March 19, 2007 9:48 PM
  • Thanks alot Mr.Lorenz Prem

i want to know what's exactly you mean in this sentence " For them the designer is too powerful"

my client not proffessional and they are not have a good experience to deal with .xoml,.rule,.vb files and they think workflow will solve all problem to automate all the custom workflow in client enviroment. the idea for it my client have to use workflow designer to automate all workflow by them self and i dont know if i can .... i need a good answer for this issue and if there are a good tools i can use that allow my client to host any workflow that deploy by them at designer.

and i need to know about the beta version and when will microsoft get the last version of windows workflow foundation technology......

thanks alot.................

Web Developer ----

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 6:25 AM
  • our client is a govermental institution and his need for the workflow designer is to build and automate workflow in thier department by sending documents from one user to another on the network to approve it or reject it, so we need to provide him with a workflow designer which enable him to build his custom workflows for diffrent types of the document.

After he build his custom workflows we need to host these workflows from our application and integrate it with our application at runtime these workflows can include .xoml,.vb and .rule files so we need a way to automate the hosting of these workflows at runtime from our application, and also to maintain the state of the workflow maybe for day's or week's, so please help us in this situation and tell us if the windows workflow foundation can give us what we need or if we need to use other solution like sharepoint server or something else can solve the problem.

thanks for your help and i waiting as soon as for your answer.  

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 7:35 AM
  • The workflow designer is targeted at developers. It shows concepts like XAML and code to the user. Some business users do not want to interact with code at this level. If I understand you correctly, your clients want to arrange activities created for them by developers, not author activities.

The WF designer does support custom activities, but it will show code and XAML. We are aware of your use case and are considering making authoring workflows easier for the non-developer. The exact plan for delivering this functionality has not been set yet.

In the mean time you can host the WF designer in your own app and customize it to meet your requirements. There is a sample on MSDN.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480213.aspx

WF does support long running workflows; weeks if you want to. You can search MSDN for samples on how to write these workflows and how to host them.  This link may help:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/06/03/CuttingEdge/

Monday, March 26, 2007 10:55 PM