locked
Very slow unit testing when network is enabled RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a set of unit test for native C++ project. Usually the test can finish in one minute, but recently it takes ~30 minutes. I haven't touched the tests for a while so I am not sure what change caused this, however, if I turn on flight mode in Windows 8 (no network access at all), the performance is back. I would assume the tests managed by test explorer has something to do with network. How to fix this? Thanks.
    Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:36 AM

Answers

  • Hello,

    Thank you for your post.

    I did a research and don’t find any articles which said Test Explorer has something to do with network.

    I suggest that you can re-create a simple unit test and then run it from Test Explorer to check if it will take much time to run.

    If yes, I doubt that the issue may be related to your VS.

    You could locate to the IDE folder then run these commands to check if it can help:

    Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files \Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE);

    Devenv.exe /SafeMode: Launches the IDE in safe mode loading minimal windows.

    Devenv.exe /ResetSettings: Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VSSettings file.

    Devenv.exe /ResetAddin: Removes commands and command UI associated with the specified Add-in.

    Devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs: Clears all SkipLoading tags added to VSPackages.

    If you just get this issue for that specific unit test, If possible, I suggest that you can try the same scenario on another machine to check the result. Maybe the issue is related to your project.

    In addition, you can try to check the project to see if something has been changed.

    Best regards,


    Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

    • Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:15 AM
    Monday, April 1, 2013 1:59 AM
  • FWIIW, the issue relates to DirectAccess. The workaround is to connect and then disconnect to DirectAccess. This is verifed with VS 2012 Update 2.
    • Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Monday, April 22, 2013 12:46 AM
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:04 PM

All replies

  • Hello,

    Thank you for your post.

    I did a research and don’t find any articles which said Test Explorer has something to do with network.

    I suggest that you can re-create a simple unit test and then run it from Test Explorer to check if it will take much time to run.

    If yes, I doubt that the issue may be related to your VS.

    You could locate to the IDE folder then run these commands to check if it can help:

    Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files \Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE);

    Devenv.exe /SafeMode: Launches the IDE in safe mode loading minimal windows.

    Devenv.exe /ResetSettings: Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VSSettings file.

    Devenv.exe /ResetAddin: Removes commands and command UI associated with the specified Add-in.

    Devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs: Clears all SkipLoading tags added to VSPackages.

    If you just get this issue for that specific unit test, If possible, I suggest that you can try the same scenario on another machine to check the result. Maybe the issue is related to your project.

    In addition, you can try to check the project to see if something has been changed.

    Best regards,


    Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

    • Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:15 AM
    Monday, April 1, 2013 1:59 AM
  • Hello,

    Since we haven't heard from you for a long time, I temporarily close this case. I mark useful reply as answer. If you have any concerns, please feel free to reopen it or submit a new question.

    Thanks for your understanding.

    Best regards,


    Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

    Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:15 AM
  • FWIIW, the issue relates to DirectAccess. The workaround is to connect and then disconnect to DirectAccess. This is verifed with VS 2012 Update 2.
    • Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Monday, April 22, 2013 12:46 AM
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:04 PM