none
Word 2010 - Loading of template customizations RRS feed

• Question

• I saw the following small paragraph reply in another forum thread.  The title of the thread was "MS Word 2010 Slow to launch":<o:p></o:p>

---"I believe the "Processing..." part of the splashscreen <during MS Word launch> appears to be  generated by the loading of templates, not Addins.  As xxxx mentioned, Addins are itemized and listed as they load, which is an improvement over prior load behaviour."---<o:p></o:p>

The above paragraph was in response to this originally posted question:<o:p></o:p>

---"I wanted to reach out to the group to get a feel for everyone's experience as  it relates to MS Word 2010 and its launch time.  We are seeing that it is  taking a significant amount of time [+/- 25 seconds] for Word 2010 to fully launch, and if a document is being opened [From FileSite] it takes much, much  longer.  I know the first question on everyone's mind is, "how many add-ins" do you have?"  The answer, 6, with two of them comprising of 3 and 2  different components respectively.  These add-ins are listed below.<o:p></o:p>

The +/- 25 seconds we are seeing is from just the launch of MS Word (splash screen) to the point where MS Word is fully loaded and usable.  Now, if we  leave MS Word opened and then launch documents, it is then faster. <o:p></o:p>

We have been doing some cursory testing, by removing the add-ins and timing  things - adding one back in at a time.  The results aren't really that  telling as it would seem that there's not one add-in that takes longer than  the other.  For instance, they are all around roughly 5 seconds  individually. The bulk of the time spent at the splash screen is the  "Processing..." piece.  The part where the add-ins are 'loading', seems to  go by at an expected speed.<o:p></o:p>

We are also a full Citrix environment, running our servers with XenApp 6 and  Windows 2008 R2 SP1 (64-bit).  Our Office Suite is SP1.  Within our Citrix  environment, we leverage AppData redirection via Group Policy and we also  re-point the NRTEcho/NrPortbl to the user's home share; therefore,  everything sits together at the data center - along with the Citrix servers.<o:p></o:p>

MS Word 2010 COM Add-ins:<o:p></o:p>

Payne Forms Assistant
     Payne Numbering Assistant
     Payne Metadata Assistant
     West Solutions
     Workshare Compare (3 separate components)
     WorkSite (2 separate components)"---<o:p></o:p>

Regarding what Word 2010 is doing when it says "Processing" on the Word splash screen during launch…  I wanted to see if anyone here confirms the allegation that templates are now loading when Word loads.  It doesn't seem right to me.  Could they be talking about vsto template customizations? or vba templates?  Could the Citrix environment be contributing? Or is the person referring only to the template of the document being opened during launch? Or is the person is outright wrong?  

So, my two questions:  What is Word doing when it says “Processing” in the splash screen?  Is it correct to say that template customizations load on demand (when you open or create a document that is based on the template), rather than when Word starts?  

Thanks,  --Elena<o:p></o:p>

Thursday, December 27, 2012 3:58 PM

Answers

• When Word starts, these are some of the processes that take place:

User options in the registry are loaded.

Fonts are loaded.

Command Bars are  loaded.

The normal template is loaded.

Add-ins are loaded.

Templates are loaded. These are templates in the Startup Folder and what is listed under Com-addins and Word Add-ins.

If the templates have macros that trigger on start of Word, then there could more custom toolbars loading, etc.

Depending on the load behavior set for the add-in determines when it loads.

For example, 3 is loaded, 0 is not loaded.

If there are several add-ins and they are loading and they are then loading their toolbars etc. ,you  may be seeing a slowness on open the first time until everything has had a chance to load and build the toolbars, etc.

Regards, Risa Microsoft Online Community Support Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by ebaralt Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:17 AM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Elena,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I will involve some experts into your thread to see whether they can help you. There might be some time delay, appreciate for you patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, December 28, 2012 1:39 AM
  • When Word starts, these are some of the processes that take place:

User options in the registry are loaded.

Fonts are loaded.

Command Bars are  loaded.

The normal template is loaded.

Add-ins are loaded.

Templates are loaded. These are templates in the Startup Folder and what is listed under Com-addins and Word Add-ins.

If the templates have macros that trigger on start of Word, then there could more custom toolbars loading, etc.

Depending on the load behavior set for the add-in determines when it loads.

For example, 3 is loaded, 0 is not loaded.

If there are several add-ins and they are loading and they are then loading their toolbars etc. ,you  may be seeing a slowness on open the first time until everything has had a chance to load and build the toolbars, etc.

Regards, Risa Microsoft Online Community Support Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by ebaralt Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:17 AM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:44 PM