The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Active Directory!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Office 365 user account corrupted. RRS feed

• Question

• Late last month i had my computer go blue screen twice, after that i lost use of my account, regained use of the computer through activating the admin account and making a new account. Since then i had some remote assistance and my computer was reset with all my data put into a folder on my new accounts desktop. Since then i have not been able to open any of the my encrypted files, including my backup files on an external hard drive, all other files i have access to. I have a .pfx certificate i assume is the one for this computer as it was saved to the external hard drive, although the thumbnail on the encrypted files is different to the newly imported .pfx one, i have taken ownership of the files through permissions, but still do not have access. Also is it possible to restore the old MS accounts through  Azure account in Office 365.Im using windows 10.I think my Azure account is just recently expired. Any help to get to my encrypted files would be a great help.

Thanks steve.

Monday, September 30, 2019 5:41 AM

All replies

• Hello evets.d

The account never expires only the password expires. How did you login to your machine on windows 10 . Do you logon to your local active directory or was your windows 10 machine joined directly to Azure AD ? If the machine account is directly connect to Azure AD then i believe you must be logging in using AzureAD\<user@domain.com> and the certificates may be stored within that profile . The certificates for the user would be stored at C:\Users\<profilename>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\<SID> location on your computer. But I am not sure if copying these and moving to the current profile would help. Can you check if you have two profile folders before making any changes ? You can check the SID of accounts using Whoami /all command. This is just to make sure you check same SID folder. 

Please take a moment to "Mark as Answer" and/or "Vote as Helpful" wherever applicable. Thanks!!

Monday, September 30, 2019 6:01 AM
  • Hi Shashi.

Thanks for your response, i put all the details of my current user accounts onto notepad doc via copy/paste and the command prompt, then compared them all and found that all the SID numbers are different in regards to last  4 digits. And one of the two previously held but now corrupted accounts, was and still is a Microsoft Account, i do have access to these two accounts as well as the extra i had to make to regain control of my computer. The Microsoft account still functions, the files i want to use are on the account i had make as a replacement, and the encrypted files dont copy over. This still remains the problem.

evets.d

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 4:29 AM