sql server 2008r2 upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a sql server 2008r2 evaluation enterprise edition. It expires in 7 days, it is in the production environment as a reportion replicated server. It wasn't installed by me. I now have a sql server standard edition volume licence for the above server. The install of this server was with a retail evaluation version of sql server 2008r2 and doesn't seem to like me to input the product key into the section below

sql server 2008r2 installiation centre ---  maintenance --- edition upgrade --- product key

I thought that I could change it from an evaluation enterprise version to a standard version........the os is windows server 2008 r2 enterprise

Any help or suggestions or help would be appreciated?

Regards David McGarry
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:44 PM

Answers

• Hi

Thanks everyone for their help.

I sorted it with all of the information. And it was easier than I antisapated.

Someone initially installled an enterprise evaluation sql server 2008r2 from a retails cd.

I upgraded - well technically downgraged it to a volume licence version of sql server 2008r2 standard but using the standard 2008r2 cd and not the origional evaluation cd....then going to the  installiation centre, and goto the edition upgrade and follow instruction from the links in the replies above.

Thanks again everyone.

Regards David McGarry
    • Marked as answer by David McGarry Friday, October 21, 2011 9:33 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi

Please review this link

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspx

Regards,

Carlos Augusto

If the answer was helpful, please mark it as useful. Si la respuesta le ayudó, por favor márquela como útil.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:24 PM
  • You can upgrade from evaluation to standard.Supported paths are

SQL Server 2008 R2 Evaluation2 -

SQL Server 2008 R2 Workgroup8

SQL Server 2008 R2 Web8

SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard

SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer

SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 

SQL Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

Article for upgrade ref is http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb677622.aspx

Are you getting any error while inputting product ket?

Anup | Forum Support| If you think my suggestion is useful, please rate it as helpful. If it has helped you to resolve the problem, please Mark it as Answer.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Thanks for the information..............

I realised that I could do the upgrade from evaluation to standard edition. But when I did it with the existing sql server software and using the installiation centre, it wouldn't allow me to input the new volume licence. But If I install the voulume licence software and goto the edition upgrade it allows me to use the volume licence..............I haven't gone further than this.....just wondering if this was the right path to go.......

Regards David McGarry
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:29 AM
  • Hi David,

Go to Microsoft SQL Server Configuration Tools, and navigate to SQL Server installation Center then click the Maintainance link and choose Edition Upgrade.

If you have any problem in the process of inputting license, please post the error message when you upgrade SQL Server.

Here is a link about how to identify SQL Server setup issues through setup log files:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955396

Hope this helps,

Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 8:52 AM
  • Hi David,

You need to upgrade SQL Server 2008 R2 Evaluation Enterprise to SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard. If I didn’t misunderstand you, you need to use SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard setup file to upgrade, then it would allow you to input license.

Here is a link about upgrade Evaluation edition to full blow SQL editions:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlblog/archive/2006/09/17/upgrade-eval-edtion-to-full-blow-sql-2005-editions.aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707783.aspx.

Hope this helps,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Maggie Luo Friday, October 21, 2011 9:15 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Hi

Thanks everyone for their help.

I sorted it with all of the information. And it was easier than I antisapated.

Someone initially installled an enterprise evaluation sql server 2008r2 from a retails cd.

I upgraded - well technically downgraged it to a volume licence version of sql server 2008r2 standard but using the standard 2008r2 cd and not the origional evaluation cd....then going to the  installiation centre, and goto the edition upgrade and follow instruction from the links in the replies above.

Thanks again everyone.

Regards David McGarry
    • Marked as answer by David McGarry Friday, October 21, 2011 9:33 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 9:25 AM
  • HI,

Thanks for the clarification. What the are the pre and post upgrade checks that need to be done?

Thanks,

Preetha

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 7:51 AM