none
VFP doesn't remember defaults? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I had this problem once before, years ago, but cannot remember how I fixed it.  Basically, VFP doesn't remember any of my last settings.  Things like which toolbars are open, recent projects and databases in Task Pane Manager, Data Session window aren't remembering the settings when closing VFP.

I've tried the Cleanup Tables and Restore to Default in the Task Pane Options and I searched and cannot find any config.fpw files and under Options | File Locations | Resourse File it says "Not Used".

Any other tricks to try?  Resetting everything every time I start VFP is getting a bit annoying.

Thanks in advance,

Linn

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:10 PM

Answers

• Make sure you have SET RESOURCE ON.

Tamar

• Proposed as answer by Olaf Doschke Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by lkubler Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:30 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:24 PM
  • Never mind, found an article that mentioned renaming the foxuser.dbf and foxuser.fpt files and VFP would recreate them.  I renamed the foxuser.dbf and started VFP and it did create those two files and it seems to be working again.  It's odd, wonder what happened to the original foxuser.fpt?

Another thing I've noticed is that VFP takes a long time to load, the Task Pane Manager takes about 30 seconds to populate.  Meaning, the window frame loads but is blank for half a minute.  Doesn't seem a lot but when you are trying to get to work it is kind of annoying to sit there and wait.

But my original issue for this thread has been corrected, thanks Tamar and Pavel!

Linn 

Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:30 PM

All replies

• Make sure you have SET RESOURCE ON.

Tamar

• Proposed as answer by Olaf Doschke Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:21 AM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:24 PM
  • You may set any resource file in Options. You may also create Config.FPW in the VFP home folder.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:08 PM
  • Hi Tamar,

When I checked resource it was off so I tried to turn it on and received the following error message.

Memo file c:\..\user\application data\microsoft\visual foxpro 9\foxuser.fpt is missing or is invalid.

I checked and there is a foxuser.dbf but no foxuser.fpt.  There are other .fpt files, foxtask.fpt and foxcode.fpt.

How do I create the foxuser.fpt file?

Thanks,

Linn

Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:15 PM
  • Hi Pavel,

I've never used a config.fpw with my development system before, not sure why I'd need one now.  What would I need in the config.fpw?

Thanks,

Linn

Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:16 PM
  • Never mind, found an article that mentioned renaming the foxuser.dbf and foxuser.fpt files and VFP would recreate them.  I renamed the foxuser.dbf and started VFP and it did create those two files and it seems to be working again.  It's odd, wonder what happened to the original foxuser.fpt?

Another thing I've noticed is that VFP takes a long time to load, the Task Pane Manager takes about 30 seconds to populate.  Meaning, the window frame loads but is blank for half a minute.  Doesn't seem a lot but when you are trying to get to work it is kind of annoying to sit there and wait.

But my original issue for this thread has been corrected, thanks Tamar and Pavel!

Linn 

Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:30 PM
  • Hi Linn.

Delete the foxuser.dbf file and the system will automatically recreate both. That will be the cause of your settings not holding on as it is the resource files that stores your last settings. Read up on the config.fpw file in the help file. Most of the commands can be also be used in your startup.prg but the commands in the config.fpw are assigned BEFORE vfp starts. Commands such as: screen = off   will suppress the VFP splash screen from showing when your app starts making it a more professional looking app. You can also configure temp file locations, etc..

HTH

Mike z

Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Another thing I've noticed is that VFP takes a long time to load, the Task Pane Manager takes about 30 seconds to populate.  Meaning, the window frame loads but is blank for half a minute.  Doesn't seem a lot but when you are trying to get to work it is kind of annoying to sit there and wait.

Don't run Task Pane Manager at start-up. Open it when you want to use it. To tell it not to run at start-up, click the Options button, then choose Task Pane Manager in the list on the left and uncheck "Open the Task Pane Manager when Visual FoxPro starts."

Tamar

Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:05 PM
  • Hi Pavel,

I've never used a config.fpw with my development system before, not sure why I'd need one now.  What would I need in the config.fpw?

Thanks,

Linn

CONFIG.FPW is useful when you need several different environments. They may differ in Code Page, and other regional settings which are specific for different applications in your portfolio. In such case you may create several configs and place them into appropriate folders where the developmnet sources reside. 

HTH

P.C.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:24 PM
  • Another thing I've noticed is that VFP takes a long time to load, the Task Pane Manager takes about 30 seconds to populate.  Meaning, the window frame loads but is blank for half a minute.  Doesn't seem a lot but when you are trying to get to work it is kind of annoying to sit there and wait.

Don't run Task Pane Manager at start-up. Open it when you want to use it. To tell it not to run at start-up, click the Options button, then choose Task Pane Manager in the list on the left and uncheck "Open the Task Pane Manager when Visual FoxPro starts."

Tamar

IMHO this is not a solution...

Try this code which removes references to unexisting gotdotnet.com web:

*-- Open the TaskPane content table
    USE ADDBS(justpath(_foxtask))+'TaskPane\PaneContent'

*-- Move problematic web links to OptionPage memo
    REPLACE OptionPage WITH Data FOR DatSrc = 'U' AND 'gotdotnet.com' $ LOWER(Data)
    REPLACE Data WITH '' FOR DatSrc = 'U' AND 'gotdotnet.com' $ LOWER(Data)

USE

And test the TaskPane setup speed...

Another task is to fix unavailable Web services used by Task pane.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:20 PM
  • >The Task Pane Manager takes about 30 seconds to populate. 

Yes, it seems to load some hardcoded sites and links not existing anymore, leading to a lengthy wait time which only ends after a long timeout.

If VFP seems to hang while starting up, use the menu "Program" and it's Cancel button. It can stop whatever the task pane is trying to do and what takes so long. And then you can take Tamars and/or Pavels advice about not starting the task pane at vfp startup or change the panecontent data and remove the broken links.

Bye, Olaf. 

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:32 AM
  • Olaf, do you mean hardcoded contents of data tables? :-)

My Taskpane starts immediately.

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:04 AM