automatically populate contenteditable iframe in Firefox with Javascript RRS feed

• Question

• User2146470223 posted

Hi,

I finally managed to get contenteditable to work on an iFrame in Firefox but only if it is populated manually via a function, if I try to run the function automatically when loading the page, the test string appears for about a few miliseconds in the iFrame but then it is set to empty immediately and I don't know why. In IE it works fine.

the test string I want to insert wrapped in Javascript:

var iframeBody = $("#test").contents().find("body");
                    var styleTag = iframeBody.append('<div><b>hi</b></div>');

my iFrame:

<p><iframe id="test" style="width:540px; max-width:540px; max-height:200px; resize:none" designmode="on" contenteditable="true"></iframe></p>

I know that designmode and contenteditable should be set somewhere else than in the iFrame tag for HTML5 but up to now I don't know how to get it into the body tag of the iFrame with Javascript. But that is another question.

first I would like to be able to set the text on pageload or similar.

Thanks for your help in pointing out what I missed. ;)

Pascal

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 8:08 PM

Answers

• User2146470223 posted

Hi,

I found a working solution:

var doc = document.getElementById('test').contentWindow.document;
                    doc.open();
                    doc.write('<head><link href="https://www.translating-it.eu/spellcheck.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" /></head>');
                    doc.write(mytool_array2[1]);
                    doc.close();

I even can change tag and everything with this.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 12:49 PM

All replies

• User2146470223 posted

Ok, just found out that this has to do with the iFrame being empty.

Trying a plain javascript version offers some result and afterwards the jquery function also works like a charm.

How can that be?

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 8:33 PM
  • User2146470223 posted

Hi,

I found a working solution:

var doc = document.getElementById('test').contentWindow.document;
                    doc.open();
                    doc.write('<head><link href="https://www.translating-it.eu/spellcheck.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" /></head>');
                    doc.write(mytool_array2[1]);
                    doc.close();

I even can change tag and everything with this.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 12:49 PM