locked
Windows 8.1 enrollment process stops after discovery response RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi!

    I'm trying to use MDM in Windows 8.1 Enterprise PC. Connecting to discovery service works correctly and URLs to connect futher are returned:

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 09:50:35 GMT
    Server: Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
    X-Powered-By: PHP/5.3.3
    Cache-Control: no-cache
    Content-Length: 1312
    Connection: close
    Content-Type: application/soap+xml; charset=utf-8
    
    <s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope" 
    				xmlns:a="http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing"> 
    				<s:Header> 
    				<a:Action s:mustUnderstand="1"> 
    				http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/management/2012/01/enrollment/IDiscoveryService/DiscoverResponse 
    				</a:Action> 
    				<ActivityId CorrelationId="48915517-66c6-4ab7-8f77-c8277e45b3cf" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/09/ServiceModel/Diagnostics"> 
    				a4067bc9-ce15-446b-a3f7-5ea1006256f5 
    				</ActivityId> 
    				<a:RelatesTo>urn:uuid: 748132ec-a575-4329-b01b-6171a9cf8478</a:RelatesTo> 
    				</s:Header> 
    				<s:Body xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" 
    				xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"> 
    				<DiscoverResponse 
    				xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/management/2012/01/enrollment"> 
    				<DiscoverResult> 
    				<AuthPolicy>Federated</AuthPolicy> 
    				<AuthenticationServiceUrl>https://server/path/mobile/wp_enrollmentservice.php</AuthenticationServiceUrl> 
    				<EnrollmentPolicyServiceUrl>https://server/path/mobile/wp_enrollmentservice.php</EnrollmentPolicyServiceUrl>
    				<EnrollmentServiceUrl>https://server/path/mobile/wp_enrollmentservice.php</EnrollmentServiceUrl>
    				</DiscoverResult> 
    				</DiscoverResponse> 
    				</s:Body> 
    				</s:Envelope>
    

    After this response is received,  PC shows white screen with "Connecting to the service" header and after a while message "We can't connect to the service you need right now. Check your network connection or try this again later." is shown.

    I use Fiddler to monitor traffic and I see that PC actually never tries to connect anywhere.

    Another strange thing is that when I turn Fiddler off then the whole process stops after first GET (I can see it on server side logs)??

    Any hints or suggestions how to proceed? (I assume that MDM actually works in Win8.1) 

    Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:30 AM

All replies

  • Maybe a name resolution or routing problem?

    Is that PC able to ping the relevant server?  If so, does the IP address match what you expect?

    A Netmon log might provide additional clues to potential name resolution problems.


    Eric Fleck, Windows Store and Windows Phone Developer Support. If you would like to provide feedback or suggestions for future improvements to the Windows Phone SDK please go to http://wpdev.uservoice.com/ where you can post your suggestions and/or cast your votes for existing suggestions.

    Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:00 PM
  • The URL I'm using is the same we currently use for our Windows Phone enrollments.

    The behaviour is the same when I enter any invalid URL with https:// prefix, so it seems like connecting issue. but browser can access the  URL without problems and it shows in Fiddler.

    When pinging the server part of the URL the ping works. I created the netmon log, but I don't understand it. Here is the log: Netmon log

    Friday, December 12, 2014 8:04 AM
  • The trace doesn't seem to include any indication of the Enrollment communications...

    Did you take that on the server side or client side? (... or maybe from a 3rd PC?)

    Can you share any other details regarding the network environment in which you are testing this?


    Eric Fleck, Windows Store and Windows Phone Developer Support. If you would like to provide feedback or suggestions for future improvements to the Windows Phone SDK please go to http://wpdev.uservoice.com/ where you can post your suggestions and/or cast your votes for existing suggestions.

    Friday, December 12, 2014 5:56 PM
  • The logs I took from client PC where I tried to enroll from.

    I have company laptop with Windows 8.1 Enterprise installed into it and using WiFi connection for internet without proxy. 

    I use MS Network Monitor 3.1, run as Administrator and it seems like Enrollment's discovery service part doesn't register at all as the log file is even smaller  when I run the monitor and don't enroll.

    Does the Enrollment service create it's own logs somewhere?

    Monday, December 15, 2014 9:15 AM
  • It might be that Network Monitor is listening on a different NIC or perhaps the version you are using has some limitation ...the latest version is Netmon 3.4 (last updated Jun 2010) and there is a replacement for Netmon called Microsoft Message Analyzer (last updated Oct 2014)

    the Enrollment service can generate ETW traces but I don't recall if they are enabled by default.


    Eric Fleck, Windows Store and Windows Phone Developer Support. If you would like to provide feedback or suggestions for future improvements to the Windows Phone SDK please go to http://wpdev.uservoice.com/ where you can post your suggestions and/or cast your votes for existing suggestions.

    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:31 PM