none
SQL 2016 - Licensing on AWS EC2

Question

• Hello guys,

We have an EC2 instance on AWS running SQL Server. We intend to upgrade our SQL Server to version 2016, but we are not sure which type of license we should purchase.

Today we are running 2 web applications that connects to database through only one user, however the amount of users on the web application itself is unlimited.

I'm almost sure we shouold purchase a SQL per core license, however I don't know the correct type. Should it be Standard, Web or Multiplexing ?

Thanks in advance for your help! 

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 11:36 AM

Answers

• Looks like you need core based licensing then. This allows for unlimited connections as long as you license all the cores you are using. The choice of standard vs enterprise depends on what features you want. Multiplexing refers to one connection which does the work of many. " Multiplexing” refers to the use of hardware or software to pool connections, reroute information, or reduce the number of devices or users that directly access or use SQL Server. Multiplexing can also include reducing the number of devices or users SQL Server directly manages."

I believe only service provides can purchase and use the web edition.

from the SQL 2016 licensing guide.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/C/6/9C6EB70A-8D52-48F4-9F04-08970411B7A3/SQL_Server_2016_Licensing_Guide_EN_US.pdf

As always you will need to contact your local licensing rep to verify this.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 11:45 AM

All replies

• Looks like you need core based licensing then. This allows for unlimited connections as long as you license all the cores you are using. The choice of standard vs enterprise depends on what features you want. Multiplexing refers to one connection which does the work of many. " Multiplexing” refers to the use of hardware or software to pool connections, reroute information, or reduce the number of devices or users that directly access or use SQL Server. Multiplexing can also include reducing the number of devices or users SQL Server directly manages."

I believe only service provides can purchase and use the web edition.

from the SQL 2016 licensing guide.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/C/6/9C6EB70A-8D52-48F4-9F04-08970411B7A3/SQL_Server_2016_Licensing_Guide_EN_US.pdf

As always you will need to contact your local licensing rep to verify this.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 11:45 AM
  • Thank you very much for your clarifying Hilary!
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 12:23 PM