Calculated Columns RRS feed

• Question

• How do I..

I wanted to add some smarts to a list, and I’ve ran into a problem...

I’ve got 5 calculated columns [A], [B], [C], [D] and [E] in which have returned the first character from a number of other Columns within the same List.

I wanted to get the MAX value from these 5 Columns, however, since I have already derived the value of [A]..[E] from other columns (field type “Calculated”, there appears to be a limitation on using a further Calculated Column to provide further calculations.

Business Requirement:

Advise worst case value from 5 different scenarios

Example Format.

Five List Boxes with various statements with first Character ranging from 0..5 e.g.

List Box 1..

0. Bright Orange

1. Blue Gray…

2. Black

List Box 2..

0. Ham

1. Cheese

5. Onion

And so forth until List box 5..

Columns [A]..[E] use a Left(xx,1) formula to derive a number value with Zero decimals.

Now I need to get the Highest Value of columns [A]..[E], in the short example above, “5” should be returned.

How can I achieve this if I cannot calculate a result from another Calculated Column?

e.g. do I replace [A]..[E] with a number column, and get a workflow to update the value? If so, how do I do this?

Any help appreciated..

Thanks

Majtx

Monday, August 15, 2016 6:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Majtx,

I created a custom list(MyList01) with the columns below:

Title: default column

LB1: Dropdown column, values(0. Bright Orange 1. Blue Gray 2. Black).

LB2: Dropdown column, values(0. Ham 1. Cheese 5. Onion).

A: calculated columns, formula is "Left(LB1,1)", the data type returned from this formula is Number.

B: calculated columns, formula is "Left(LB2,1)", the data type returned from this formula is Number.

MAX: calculated columns, formula is "MAX(Left(LB1,1),Left(LB2,1))", the data type returned from this formula is Number.

Best Regards,

Dennis

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Dennis Guo Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:29 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Patrick_Liang Wednesday, August 24, 2016 9:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Patrick_Liang Monday, August 29, 2016 9:27 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:27 AM