Webservice for SharePoint customized application RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are developing custom applications on top of SharePoint. Users will access it from mobile as well as well as desktop clients. As a best practice I wanted to know on the approach on below two options.

1. Develop a (rest) web service only for Mobile cleints and let the desktop applications use the object model within SharePoint. This will have an impact of code repetition within the web service and manegability would be an issue.

2. Develop a (rest) web service which is cosumed by Mobile clients as well as desktop clients. This will not have code duplication but it might have a hit on performance for desktop users as for simple calls, the user will need to contact the webservice and then do the object model calls. For example a simple operation like manipulating a list will need to be called through a custom webservice and then the object model call.

Just wanted to have opinion or a pointer to any white paper which could be helpful.

Thanks,

siaj
    • Changed type Mike Walsh FIN Monday, January 2, 2012 1:20 PM question
    Monday, January 2, 2012 12:59 PM

Answers

• As per me going with the web service is better for following reasons;

1) Easy to maintain as you don't have to do lot of changes if there is a change in the reqs.
    2) Can be used by multiple apps/platforms
    3) You will have more control on you programming logic.

Happy Sharepointing... Regards SPTECH07
    • Marked as answer by siaj Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:58 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 7:18 PM

All replies

• As per me going with the web service is better for following reasons;

1) Easy to maintain as you don't have to do lot of changes if there is a change in the reqs.
    2) Can be used by multiple apps/platforms
    3) You will have more control on you programming logic.

Happy Sharepointing... Regards SPTECH07
    • Marked as answer by siaj Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:58 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 7:18 PM
  • By design you should have one common DAL/BLL which does the bulk of your data fetching/processing. And you can have separate web service wrappers for mobile and desktop users.

In most cases your wrapper would never change, and changes can be designed/planned in the logic layer.

Varun

Monday, January 9, 2012 4:26 AM
  • Thanks Varun and SPTech07. I think both of you are of the same view that there should be a common web service for web as well as mobile interface. That is my opinion too. :)

Thanks !

siaj
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:58 PM