none
Adding a report.rdlc and then attempting to add a dataset causes Visual Studio 2013 Update 5 to crash

Question

• After adding a Report.RDLC report and then going into the report designer and right clicking on the dataset add dataset context menu it causes Visual Studio 2013 Update 5 to crash with this error message:

AdomdClient

I installed Sql Express 2014 and I think this missing library is for Sql 2008 R2 but I don't have that installed.  I also tried to fix Update 5 but that did not fix this issue.

Marc Noon

• Edited by mnoon Friday, March 18, 2016 10:52 AM
    Friday, March 18, 2016 10:50 AM

Answers

• The RDLC in question had a problem with a table within a table where there was an "if then" statement in the c# code which added additional columns or subtracted columns to that table.  So attempting to get all of the tables to use the full view in the PDF output was extremely confusing and not obvious for me at the time. One solution was to create two RDLCs for each case. The other solutions was to change the formatting for the first case and use a different formatting for the second case which required some serious tweaking the RDLC.

Symptom: The symptom of the problem is that b/c I was looking at the problem wrong it would add an extra page "Empty page #2" to each pdf I tried to create.  

Solution: The solution in my case was to identify the "if/then" case and change formatting for both cases.

Marc Noon

Saturday, September 3, 2016 11:16 PM

All replies

• Hi mnoon,

Please try adding another .RDLC report which is compatible with Sql Express 2014 to check whether this problem caused by this specific report or not.

If the new report works fine, this issue is related to this .RDLC report. Please generate a new report file to adding to Visual Studio.

If the new report also has this issue and according to the error message, please try download and install the ADOMD.NET from below link.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23089

In addition, please check whether do you have installed SQL Server Data Tools for your Visual Studio 2013. If not, please install it from below link.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42313

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, March 21, 2016 4:56 AM
  • The RDLC in question had a problem with a table within a table where there was an "if then" statement in the c# code which added additional columns or subtracted columns to that table.  So attempting to get all of the tables to use the full view in the PDF output was extremely confusing and not obvious for me at the time. One solution was to create two RDLCs for each case. The other solutions was to change the formatting for the first case and use a different formatting for the second case which required some serious tweaking the RDLC.

Symptom: The symptom of the problem is that b/c I was looking at the problem wrong it would add an extra page "Empty page #2" to each pdf I tried to create.  

Solution: The solution in my case was to identify the "if/then" case and change formatting for both cases.

Marc Noon

Saturday, September 3, 2016 11:16 PM