none
Main report is invalid RRS feed

• Question

• We're using report viewer 2008 and I'm having troubles getting any kind of reasonable debugging information for a crash we keep having at random.

Here's the error: An error occurred while executing the subreport ‘XXX’: The definition of the report 'Main Report' is invalid.

Our users will run a batch of reports at a time. It seems like sometimes they can run a number of batches before this happens. Other times, the very first batch after starting our application causes the problem. It's not related to the reports themselves because they can run the same exact batch later and it works fine.

I've been searching "The definition of the report 'Main Report' is invalid." issues and it seems like every one I find includes information about why it's invalid, but I apparently don't get any other information. And the fact that I can run the same report again and it works makes me think there actually isn't a problem. I've also tried dumping out the report content to XML and putting it into an RDLC file and it seems to render fine in the designer. I've also had the users try another machine and the problem follows them, so I assume it's not an issue with software corruption on their PC.

The only thing I can think is that there is some resource issue. Maybe some handle leak in report viewer? Is there any other way to get information on why this fails?

Monday, June 20, 2016 5:27 PM