none
Accessing Mother Board Resources - GPIO RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am developing GPIO driver. But when I try to install this driver It failed and the reason was resource conflict. Further investigation shows me the GPIO address I am going to access is reserved as Mother Board Resources. How can I sort out this issue ?

1. Can I free those resource for my GPIO driver ?

2. If not how can I access those mother board resources.

Regards,

Sira

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 12:59 PM

Answers

• Hardware resources can only be owned by one entity (driver or the system). What is the larger problem you're trying to solve?

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:25 AM

All replies

• Why do you think that your driver should have access to those resources - especially when they are claimed by either another driver or the system? If you are trying to test a simple driver for which you do not have specific hardware, there is SimGPIO in the WDK.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:23 PM
  • Hello Brian,

I need to control GPIO pin of a BayTrail based system. According to my observations the GPIO address which I need  to access is hold by the mother board resources.

Regards,

Sira

• Edited by Sira1 Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:52 AM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:20 AM
  • Hardware resources can only be owned by one entity (driver or the system). What is the larger problem you're trying to solve?

-Brian

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:25 AM
  • Hello Brian,

I need to control GPIO pin of BayTrail based system to control external hard ware attached to system. Currently the system is working on DOS with assembly code. I need to control it on Windows 7.

Regards,

Sira.

Monday, October 27, 2014 2:15 AM
  • Is this pin supposed to be controllable by a driver? Who has claimed the pin, another driver or the system?

-Brian

Monday, October 27, 2014 2:43 AM
  • I get more deep in to this issue. I check the device manager and according to device manager the resources the memory region I am using is not utilized by any resources. Still when I am trying to install the driver the OS claims about resource conflict.

Monday, November 17, 2014 12:02 PM
  • This is Windows 7
    Monday, November 17, 2014 11:34 PM