locked
'Sys' is undefined / 'WebForm_SaveScrollPositionSubmit' is undefined RRS feed

  • Question

  • User-1874149369 posted

     We have a site running FW 2.0 on IIS 6.  Actually two sites (on the same server), one works and one has that little Done with errors note in the lower left.  The errors are 'Sys' is undefined & 'WebForm_SaveScrollPositionSubmit' is undefined.  I have cleaned the bad site, copied the code from the good site, including web.config, and still see the problem.  This was working for a number of months, then I guess we did something, and now the errors.  Any ideas where else to look?  TIA

    Regards,

    Paul

    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 1:46 PM

Answers

  • User555306248 posted

    Sys undefined usually indicates that the framework scripts didn't load. In your case, you shouldn't drop the script files directly under the script path: there is versioning involved and the directory structure must be exactly what the script manager expects.

    Refer this thread

    http://weblogs.asp.net/chrisri/archive/2007/02/02/demystifying-sys-is-undefined.aspx

    http://forums.asp.net/t/1040236.aspx

    http://encosia.com/2007/08/16/updated-your-webconfig-but-sys-is-still-undefined/

    For WebForm_SaveScrollPositionSubmit, Please refer this

    http://forums.asp.net/t/1019457.aspx

    http://forums.asp.net/t/1087085.aspx

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:19 PM
  • User-1874149369 posted

    This was an IIS configuration problem.  I'm not sure how it got out of whack - perhaps as a result of installing FW 4.0 since we are in the process of migrating.

     

    Our authentication engine requires that we map a dll in the IIS configuration for the virtual.  I'm not an IIS guy so I'll describe the menu options without really knowing what's going on in the backend.  For the virtual, select Properties, the Configuration button, and on that Mappings tab Insert the path to the (authentication engine) dll.  The tricky part is on that dialog to add the dll, there is a <<Verify that file exists>> checkbox.  That was checked and needed to be unchecked.

     

    My simple mind explanation is that our authentication system was requiring that webresource.axd physically exist and it did/does not, so our AJAX failed.  I unchecked that box and it all works now.  I had seen this years ago but it had manifested differently, probably because our application was different - but bottom line the same issue, AJAX/JS didn't work.

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 4:51 PM

All replies

  • User555306248 posted

    Sys undefined usually indicates that the framework scripts didn't load. In your case, you shouldn't drop the script files directly under the script path: there is versioning involved and the directory structure must be exactly what the script manager expects.

    Refer this thread

    http://weblogs.asp.net/chrisri/archive/2007/02/02/demystifying-sys-is-undefined.aspx

    http://forums.asp.net/t/1040236.aspx

    http://encosia.com/2007/08/16/updated-your-webconfig-but-sys-is-still-undefined/

    For WebForm_SaveScrollPositionSubmit, Please refer this

    http://forums.asp.net/t/1019457.aspx

    http://forums.asp.net/t/1087085.aspx

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:19 PM
  • User-1874149369 posted

    This was an IIS configuration problem.  I'm not sure how it got out of whack - perhaps as a result of installing FW 4.0 since we are in the process of migrating.

     

    Our authentication engine requires that we map a dll in the IIS configuration for the virtual.  I'm not an IIS guy so I'll describe the menu options without really knowing what's going on in the backend.  For the virtual, select Properties, the Configuration button, and on that Mappings tab Insert the path to the (authentication engine) dll.  The tricky part is on that dialog to add the dll, there is a <<Verify that file exists>> checkbox.  That was checked and needed to be unchecked.

     

    My simple mind explanation is that our authentication system was requiring that webresource.axd physically exist and it did/does not, so our AJAX failed.  I unchecked that box and it all works now.  I had seen this years ago but it had manifested differently, probably because our application was different - but bottom line the same issue, AJAX/JS didn't work.

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 4:51 PM