Features requests and questions RRS feed

• Question

• Just thinking about some needed features when compared to say NServiceBus:

1. How come no easy support for pub/sub in terms of polymorphic messaging?. Something similar to this. Can you elaborate on why subscription/topic strings were chosen instead of a more OO approach?
    2. Is the bus really durable? what makes it durable since no queues are used?
    3. Any specific examples of when you would use NServicebus vs Windows bus? I've seen people suggestion using Windows service bus as the underlying protocol within NServicebus instead of msmq but I don't get how that would work at all.
    4. Any retry logic supported?
    5. What are my choices for authentication and authorization since no Windows ACS on-premise support?
    6. What are some of the features to look for in the future?

Appreciate any insight as this would clarify further for me.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 12:11 AM

Answers

• Hello Tim,

Thank you for your interest in Service Bus for windows server.

1. The Service Bus SDK provides 'basic' pub/sub API using BrokerMesage. For more advanced developers patterns with messaging I would recommend you to look at CloudFX (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/jj136818).

2. Service Bus messages are durable as they are stored in a SQL database.

3. NServiceBus is a high level messaging API which can be implemented on top of Service Bus. I am not aware of any such implementation and recommend you to post a question in the NServiceBus forum.

4. There is no built-in retry logic within Service Bus API. Still for each exception we indicate whether it is transient so that you can (and should) implement retry.

BTW, The CloudFX framework implements a retry logic.

5. Service Bus for windows server supports windows authentication as well as self signed tokens. For more information visit: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj193003(v=azure.10)

6. I guess you will have to wait for RTM in order to learn about additional features in this release ;-) . At the moment, there is no public roadmap for Service Bus for windows server.

Let me know in case you have more feedback/questions.

Regards,

Ziv , Windows Azure Service Bus team.

• Proposed as answer by Veerendra Kumar Friday, August 3, 2012 5:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by TimJohnson_1 Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:36 AM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 9:07 PM