none
Emulator (Version 10.0.14393.0) problem testing Geofence

Question

• Using the Mobile Emulator (Version 10.0.14393.0) I have a problem when testing my own geofence application, but also the Windows UWP example Geolocation (https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/tree/master/Samples/Geolocation/cs).

It seems geofences are not triggered.

The same examples work perfectly when running the previous emulator version (10.0.10586.212). (The version before this one had another problem: not showing the mapcontent in a MapControl, but fortunately this problem is fixed.)

Is there a solution?

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:56 AM

All replies

• Hi run4luck,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Visual Studio Setup and Installation is to talk about the installation and setup of visual studio, your thread is more related to visual studio general questions, I will move the thread to https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=visualstudiogeneral for a professional support.

Best regards,

Joyce

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 4:13 AM
  • Hi run4luck,

According to the version of Mobile Emulator, it should be used for Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Please check whether you have install the same version SDK (Windows 10 SDK version 10.0.14393.0). If not, please download it from below link.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/sdk-archive

And which version of Windows do you use? Please try run this emulator on an Windows 10 Anniversary Update machine to confirm whether this version of emulator need to run on Windows 10 Anniversary Update machine.

If the Windows version and SDK version are version 10.0.14393.0, do you get any error message in Output window? Please share the error message here. And you also can check the Windows Event Viewer, whether there has more error message about the emulator.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 6:21 AM
  • Hi WeiWei,

There is no error message in the output window while running.

I checked the versions of my system, visual studio and tools.

My System info:

Windows 10 Education
    version 1607
    OS Build 14393.321

Visual Studio Community 2015:
    version 14.0.25431.01 update 3

Visual studio tools for Windows 14.0.25527.01

Mobile Emulator: 10.0.14393.0

If I try to (re)install Windows 10 SDK (14393) I'm prompted to uninstall the same version (Windows SDK 10.0.14393.33) 

Tested the geofence demo application again (foreground geofence) and no luck. On the previous emulator version 10586 the demo works.

The windows event log does give a warning: The RemoteFX Manager process stopped working and has been restarted. VM computer: Mobile Emulator 10.0.14393.0 WVGA 4 inch 512MB.<snip>. VM ID: 44407E47-CE89-4FFB-AF2F-1887EED415C4.

However I see no problem in the emulator while running. Apps work but without geofence triggers.

Hope you can help me out.

Best Regards,
    Paul

Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:39 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Since there doesn't have any error message in Output window and Event Viewer, the app also could run in emulator, I'm afraid that this issue is not related to the emulator.

I think the most possible reason is the compatibility between emulator version 10.0.14393.0 and the geofence tiggers. Please share a sample project here and I will try reproduce this issue in my side to check whether this issue is caused by the compatibility.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 8:49 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

Thanks for investigating this problem.

As basic example that gives a problem is from the Microsoft UWP demo's:

https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/tree/master/Samples/Geolocation/cs

Try to set a foreground geofence and you will notice that is not triggered in emulator version 10.0.14393.0.

regards,
    Paul

Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:05 PM
  • Hi run4luck,

The demo that you shared is a UWP application, which could not run on Mobile Emulator. Could share the detailed steps about how do you run it on Mobil Emulator?

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, October 14, 2016 5:30 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

I do not understand that it does not run in the emulator. It is a true UWP app for desktop and mobile.

In Visual Studio select project Geolocation: Debug, x86, Mobile emulator 10.0.10586.0 720p 5inch...

Then select in the emulator >>(tools) and select tab location to set a location. Create a foreground geofence. With live, pin or route options you can simulate entering or exit a geofence.

regards,
    Paul

• Edited by run4luck Friday, October 14, 2016 10:43 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2016 10:41 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Can you run the new created UWP app with this emulator? If a new created UWP has this issue, please try to do a repair of your Visual Studio 2015.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, October 17, 2016 6:59 AM