RDLC Report Designer in Visual Studio Community 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I installed Visual Studio Community 2015 and wanted to open an existing RDLC file. It opens in xml format, not as I am used from version 2008.

I tried to find the Report Designer for version 2015 in Marketplace, without success. Then I ticked "Report Viewer" under Tools --> Choose Toolbox Items, but received the message that I should check for compatible version of designer and .NET Framework...

I have no clue what to do in order to see the reports in the way I am used to.

All I need is to translate a few words from existing RDLC Reports.

Thx.

Saturday, November 4, 2017 9:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Please check whether you have install the SQL Server Data Tools in Visual Studio 2015 Community through Control Panel -> Visual Studio 2015 Community -> Change -> Modify as below image. If it unchecked, please check it and update it.

If you have install the SQL Server Data Tools, please do with following steps to open the RDLC file with Visual Studio 2015.

1. Open Visual Studio and open the project which contains the RDLC file.
    2. Don't open the file with Visual Studio IDE directly, please right-click the file.
    3. Choose "Open with..." option.
    4. Select "Report Designer" and set it as default as below image.

If you don't have this option in that window, please download the Report Viewer 2015 Runtime from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45496

Best regards,

joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 6, 2017 6:01 AM