none
SQL Report Builder RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application that uses SQL Report Builder to edit templates.  When I go to add a dataset to add a custom field to the report, I get a permissions error (screenshot Error).  When I check the credentials for the shared datasource, they are all grayed out, so I can’t verify the credentials being used (screenshot Error 2).  According to SQL Management Studio, the user credentials have the right permissions.  The weird thing is, I can access the datasets and shared datasource embedded in the report just fine.  I just get a permissions error whenever trying to create a new dataset.

Friday, May 1, 2015 4:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi DT68,

According to your description, you are not able to create a new dataset in Report Builder, right?

In your scenario, the issue could cause by that the user doesn’t have sufficient permission to edit the RDL file within the Report builder from report server. Please check if either Report Builder or Content Manager Item-level role is assigned to the user on the target folder.

Reference:
    Lesson 2: Setting Item-Level Permissions on a Report Server

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 4, 2015 8:19 AM
  • can assign to roles at the site level:

• Execute Report Definitions allows a user to run a report definition without first loading the definition onto the SSRS server. This is required if you want your users to run report definitions from applications separate from SSRS, such as the Report Builder.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:13 AM