Boot loop when installing Windows Developer Preview and Windows 7.

Question

• Ok I have a dual boot with Windows XP and the developer preview. Yesterday, I stupidly decided to install windows 7 in the same drive as windows 8.
    The setup of windows 7 did not complete. Now my laptop is stuck in a boot loop. I have tried everything on the Windows 8 repair section thing and i cant get it to work. I cant even get into XP! 
    Please help as I really need it for school. 
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:54 PM

Answers

• I recommend a clean install which will delete all data on your hard disk. Back up your data and do a clean install as follows:

If you have an external USB hard drive (or can borrow one from a friend) with plenty of free space, boot off Windows Installation media and get to a command prompt. (On the Windows Developer Preview media, boot and where it says "Install Now" click "Repair your computer," then view Advanced Options and Command Prompt). 

Plug in the external USB hard drive and use the xcopy command to copy your data from the hard disk to your external drive.  Type dir c: and increment the letter (try d:, e:, f:, etc.) until you see where your data is stored. Use the xcopy command to copy the data to the external drive. The syntax is: 

xcopy [source] [destination] /S /I

where /S copies subdirectories recursively and /I suppresses the prompt to create the destination directory. 

Then boot off the install media (either Windows 7 or Windows Developer Preview) and do a custom installation. Delete all partitions (make sure you have backed up your data already!) and then install Windows as usual. Should be back to normal :-)

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:20 AM
  • It will unfortunately cause you to lose both dual boots. However, you can back up the files you need for school from the XP partition as well. Does Windows 7/Windows Developer Preview not support the programs you need for school? (The programs will need to be reinstalled)

I would specifically be interested in hearing about what programs don't support Windows 8 :-)

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:38 AM

All replies

• I recommend a clean install which will delete all data on your hard disk. Back up your data and do a clean install as follows:

If you have an external USB hard drive (or can borrow one from a friend) with plenty of free space, boot off Windows Installation media and get to a command prompt. (On the Windows Developer Preview media, boot and where it says "Install Now" click "Repair your computer," then view Advanced Options and Command Prompt). 

Plug in the external USB hard drive and use the xcopy command to copy your data from the hard disk to your external drive.  Type dir c: and increment the letter (try d:, e:, f:, etc.) until you see where your data is stored. Use the xcopy command to copy the data to the external drive. The syntax is: 

xcopy [source] [destination] /S /I

where /S copies subdirectories recursively and /I suppresses the prompt to create the destination directory. 

Then boot off the install media (either Windows 7 or Windows Developer Preview) and do a custom installation. Delete all partitions (make sure you have backed up your data already!) and then install Windows as usual. Should be back to normal :-)

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:20 AM
  • Will I lose both dual boots? 
    Because I really need the XP one for school :( 
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:33 AM
  • I had a dual boot between XP and Windows 8 Developer Preview.
    The developer preview was slowing my computer so i decided to replace that drive with windows 7.
    I installed Windows 7 and got an error that said files were missing.
    Now I cannot access the computer at all, and it doesnt even let me choose how to boot, (Safe Mode, XP, or Win 8)

I tried bootrec.exe on cmd, on the windows 8 repair tool.
     bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    Total Identified windows installations: 1
    [1] E:\Windows.old\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? Yes<Y>/No<N>/All<A>:
    I chose yes and it said The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

I am really stuck, and I urgently need to fix my laptop without losing the Windows XP boot.

Please help :(
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:46 AM
  • It will unfortunately cause you to lose both dual boots. However, you can back up the files you need for school from the XP partition as well. Does Windows 7/Windows Developer Preview not support the programs you need for school? (The programs will need to be reinstalled)

I would specifically be interested in hearing about what programs don't support Windows 8 :-)

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:38 AM
  • Also, if you choose to reinstall Windows Developer Preview, you can install the optional Hyper-V Windows Component and create a Windows XP virtual machine (you will need your Windows XP installation media and product key to do this). You can install your school programs that require Windows XP in this virtual machine.

I know these solutions aren't ideal for you but I'm simply trying to help get you back into a working state. I do not know of a guaranteed way to fix your bootloader in this situation.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:43 AM