none
ASUS M5A97 USB 3.0 Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I just recently got the Kinect V2 for windows. I have used it on my lenovo Y400 laptop with ease however I appear to be having compatibility issues on my desktop. My motherboard (ASUS M5A97) has 2 USB 3.0 ports that are advertised as true USB 3.0. I have already tried updating the drivers as well.

The problem is that when I plug in the kinect windows briefly recognizes it but sometimes it disconnects. And when I go to Kinect Studio and press the connect button nothing appears in the monitor. Sometimes the IR blaster and light turn on on the kinect but only briefly before turning off.

I am going to try and make a few adjustments to my bios to see if that helps. If anyone else has had this issue and resolved it it would be great to hear what you did to make it work. I am planning on getting a USB 3.0 controller for my desktop incase it might be an issue with the motherboard.

Thanks,

McGrottys

Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:46 PM

All replies

• What is the chipset on the motherboard? As noted in our troubleshooting guide and minimum requirements the USB3 chipset must be Intel or Renesas since these chipsets are the only ones we tested and are known to work. Over time there may be others chipsets/driver combination that may work, but as of the release these are the only ones known to work.

When you connect the sensor and the driver for Kinect loads, it is trying to make a reservations with the USB3 chipset/driver that are required to support the bandwidth Kinect needs. This is failing somewhere in that negotiation and there resets the Kinect Driver and sometimes the USB3 chipset driver as well.

The only workaround for that behavior is a standalone USB3 PCIx Gen 2.0 card that has an Intel or Rensas chipset.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/20dbadae-dcee-406a-b66f-a182d76cea3b/troubleshooting-and-common-issues-guide?forum=kinectv2sdk

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Friday, November 21, 2014 8:25 PM