none
Question regarding elevation consistency with applications in Windows Vista RRS feed

• Question

• As post http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/wpf/thread/219aa992-758f-40a8-9a62-4db7f41d19b4 points out that. You can't drag/drop from the non-elevated shell process into an elevated process.
    This of course makes sense to me however, I have found some inconsistencies with this described below:
    Right click on cmd.exe and say Run as Administrator from that command prompt type Notepad.exe. Open a windows explorer window and attempt to drag and drop a text file into Notepad. 
    This does not work as expected and as described in the above post.
    However, from the same Administrator command prompt change directory to the location of where your text file is and type "start ." this as you know will open a windows explorer window in that location.
    Attempt to drag and drop the same text document from the newly opened windows explorer window into Notepad ... again it does not work.. But wait shouldn't it work at this point I was running a cmd window as administrator I opened Explorer up from the Administrator cmd window..
    Since you need to be at the same level for drag and drop to work how is it that you cannot run a windows explorer window elevated?

How is it that I cannot drag and drop a file into a non-elevated or elevated cmd window? As an example open a cmd window and type dir /s
    from windows explorer attempt to drag and drop a file into the command window.. It doesn't work.. Why is this behavior dangerous and or why so darn inconsistent?
    Thanks,

Mike
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:17 PM

Answers

•  

Thanks for your post; however I regret to inform you this is not the correct forum to get you the answers you need.   This forum is for the discussion related to Microsoft open protocol documentation.   

Please re-post your question at the following forum and they should be able to assist you:

http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/wpf/threads/

Hongwei Sun -MSFT
    • Marked as answer by KeithHa Friday, August 29, 2008 9:29 PM
    Friday, August 15, 2008 4:10 PM