Issue while create mirror DB RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

I have SQL 2016 installed over windows server 2012 R2

i'm using Management studio v 18.0 Preview 7

below steps i followed for creation:

1- All SQL services on Primary and Standby server are running with Domain user account

2- This domain user account has sysadmin permission on both Servers

3- I don't want to create witness server

4- i took a full backup from primary and transaction log backup from the primary

5- Restore the full backup on standby machine with no recovery option

6- Restore transaction log backup with norecovery option

7- start mirror configuration from Primary and finish steps successfully

8- Screen showed with the following message:

TITLE: Database Properties
    ------------------------------

One or more of the server network addresses lacks a fully qualified domain name (FQDN). To start mirroring without using a FQDN, click "Yes." To specify the FQDN, click "No." Then, specify every TCP address by using the syntax for a fully qualified TCP address, and click Start Mirroring again.

This syntax is:
    TCP://<computer_name>.<domain_segment>[.<domain_segment>]:<port>

BUTTONS:

&Yes
    &No

when i choose yes, it gives me the below message:

TITLE: Database Properties

An error occurred while starting mirroring.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Alter failed for Database 'proview'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=15.0.18092.0+((SSMS_Rel).190228-0027)&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Alter+Database&LinkId=20476

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Database 'proview' cannot be opened. It is in the middle of a restore. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 927)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&ProdVer=13.00.4001&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=927&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

I need your support ASAP

Regards

Sunday, March 17, 2019 2:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi  EL-ABD,

Here is a similar thread for your reference:https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/69e1c6b5-3573-4b13-8e60-5f93bd71dba1/sql-2016-unable-to-start-mirroring?forum=sqldatabasemirroring I  recommend you to submit it to the Microsoft feedback at this link https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server . This site will serve as a connecting point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the large community for you and Microsoft to interact with. Your feedback enables Microsoft to offer the best software and deliver superior services, meanwhile you can learn more about and contribute to the exciting projects on Microsoft feedback.

As a workaround, I suggest you use a different version of ssms or use tsql to configure database mirroring. For more details, please refer to Example: Setting Up Database Mirroring Using Windows Authentication (Transact-SQL)

Hope this could help you .

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by EL-ABD Monday, March 18, 2019 11:10 AM
    Monday, March 18, 2019 6:22 AM
  • HI EL-ABD,

This seems like an issue with SSMS GUI, Can you use a different SSMS/TSQL to configure? It should work.

• Marked as answer by EL-ABD Monday, March 18, 2019 11:10 AM
    Monday, March 18, 2019 6:36 AM
  • Thanks for your support:

i did use sql server management studio 2014 and the issue is resolved.

if i may to ask another question,

as i mentioned before i created the mirror database without witness, how can i manage the automatic failover in case of disaster?

Appreciate your guidence

Regards

Monday, March 18, 2019 11:10 AM
  • Thanks for your support:

i did use sql server management studio 2014 and the issue is resolved.

if i may to ask another question,

as i mentioned before i created the mirror database without witness, how can i manage the automatic failover in case of disaster?

Appreciate your guidance

Regards

Monday, March 18, 2019 11:10 AM