none
Redundant Microsoft .NET package installs? RRS feed

• Question

• Several questions about Microsoft .NET Framework. I have all the following installed (Win 7 64)

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 Targeting Pack (ENU)       ---- 69.6MB
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6. Targeting Pack (ENU)        ---- 69.6MB
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 Targeting Pack             ---- 40.4MB
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6. Targeting Pack              ---- 40.3MB
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1                                  ---- 38.8MB

(1) Is "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6. Targeting Pack" redundant with "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 Targeting Pack?"

(2) How do the (ENU) versions relate to the non-ENU versions?

Some questions about Windows SDK. I have all the following:

Windows Software Development Kit - Windows 10.0.10586.212 ---- 2.15GB
    Windows Software Development Kit - Windows 10.0.14393.33  ---- 1.95GB
    Windows Software Development Kit - Windows 10.0.26624     ---- 1.43GB
    Windows Software Development Kit - Windows 10.0.16299.15  ---- 1.22GB

Assuming those are version numbers then "Windows Software Development Kit - Windows 10.0.26624" would seem to be the most recent.

Can all the others be removed and retain the functionality? There are several questions wrapped up in that one so I'll leave it open-ended and a bit vague.

A bit about me: a C++ learner developer aspiring to develop games for Windows. Win 10 I guess and backwards compatible so DirectX11. If I could develop for Win 7 ONLY and have any hope of commercial success I would but I realize that is suicidal . . . Beyond that, I MIGHT eventually take interest in developing for other platforms but as I'm still in learning phase and have not yet even started development on commercial game #1, having stuff installed that I won't use for years to come seems to be a waste of storage space.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 10:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Firstly, you can have a look at the introduction for .net framework for developer.

>>1) Is "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6. Targeting Pack" redundant with "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 Targeting Pack?"

Installing a new version of the .NET Framework doesn't always replace a previous version, the .NET Framework 4.5.1 and 4.5.2, as well as the .NET Framework 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, and 4.7.1 are in-place updates to the .NET Framework 4.5. You can uninstall what you don’t want.

the .NET Framework provides a comprehensive and consistent programming model for building apps that have visually stunning user experiences and seamless and secure communication. When you develop a project in visual studio, you can choose them for your project.

>>(2) How do the (ENU) versions relate to the non-ENU versions?

ENU : English language package.

Language packs are executable files that contain the localized resources (such as translated error messages and UI text) for supported languages. If you don't install a language pack, .NET Framework error messages and other text are displayed in English. Note that the web installer automatically installs the language pack that matches your operating system, but you can download additional language packs to your computer.

>>Assuming those are version numbers then "Windows Software Development Kit - Windows 10.0.26624" would seem to be the most recent. Can all the others be removed and retain the functionality?

Yes, you can remove some of them. The Windows 10 SDK provides the headers, libraries, metadata, and tools for building Windows 10 apps. Each version of Windows 10 has brought new and improved features to the UWP platform.

You can have a look at here which describes the available versions of Windows 10.

You can also have a look at here to learn more about c++:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2017/04/21/getting-started-with-visual-studio-for-c-and-cpp-development/

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:37 AM