Very slow startup of VS2015 Isolated Shell when run from Debug folder RRS feed

• Question

• I have just joined a dev team working on an Isolated Shell application.  Other dev's can build the application and run it from the Debug output folder with no problem - it starts in less than 15 seconds.  On my machine, however, it takes more than 2 minutes to startup!

I tried copying the Debug folder from my colleague's PC onto my PC, and this copy starts up quickly (<15 secs).

I then tried making a copy of my Debug folder (e.g. "Debug - copy"), and this also starts up quickly (<15 secs).

The application in the original Debug folder still starts up slowly (>2 mins) even after starting it more than once - so it doesn't appear to be a DLL caching issue.

I captured activity logs for the application when it starts fast and also when it starts slow (using the /log command line switch).  Comparing the logs, they appeared to be identical apart from the timestamps.  There is no particular activity that takes longer than the rest - they all seem to take longer when the startup is slow.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what is going on?  It would appear that simply copying my Debug folder makes the application start up faster!  It makes no sense.

The application is a Visual Studio 2015 isolated shell, and my machine is running Windows 10 (build 1511).  Other dev's are still running Windows 7 - could this be a factor?

• Edited by imcardle Monday, June 19, 2017 10:52 AM Formatting messed up
    Monday, June 19, 2017 10:51 AM

All replies

• Hi imcardle,

According to your description, you copy debug directory to another place, it starts up quickly (<15 secs). it seems that it is folder issue, please delete debug folder and copy your project to another place, re-generate the debug folder again and check if it will be quickly.

Best regards,

Cole Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 7:15 AM
  • Hi Cole,

Thank you for your reply.  I deleted the Debug folder and copied the project to another location, as you suggested.  After re-building the project it still starts up slowly (around 2 minutes until I see the splash screen).  I made a copy of this Debug folder, ran the application from there and it started up in less than 15 secs again.  Now, when I go back to the Debug folder created by the project, it runs fast!

Any ideas what could be causing this behaviour?

• Edited by imcardle Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:12 AM Fixed error in description.
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:09 AM
  • Hi imcardle,

It is very strange, I don't encounter the issue, maybe it is a window issue. I would suggest that you could post a feedback on the following link.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Feedback

Best regards,

Cole Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 5:53 AM
  • Hi Cole,

OK - I have posted feedback as you suggested.

Thank you for your assistance.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 7:38 AM