none
How to send email to group of Users in Community Site Discussion?

Question

• I have created a Community Site in SP2013 and in the discussion list several questions (no discusssions in my case) posted. I have created a seperate list called "Experts" with columns (ExpertUserID: People and group, Category: Lookup to the existing Category List). When any question posted it needs to send email to all ExpertUserID of that catgegory saying that there is a question posted and they need to respond.

How could I do that?

Also I need a mechanism to assign individual questions to individual ExpertUserID of Experts list. This is to ensure that this assigned user is responsible to answer this question. Please advise how could I structure this in  list and have a mechanism to track what questions assigned to whom. 
    Thanks
    Monday, March 6, 2017 6:01 PM

Answers

• #1- your discussion list should include the name of the expert in a column. Set up views where expert= this expert. Then set up an alert on that view so only that/those experts receive an alert.

#2- again, your discussion list should include an expert column. If you don't want others to see who the expert is, then in your expert list, assign each expert a code as I suggested above. Then have a lookup column in your discussion list that grabs the expert code. That way you'll be able to see who's assigned to what in the discussion list.

cameron rautmann

• Marked as answer by MC ROY Thursday, March 9, 2017 4:24 PM
    Tuesday, March 7, 2017 1:10 PM
  • Hi Rio,

We can use Create List Item action in workflow to create list items, and I suppose that there will be only one question ID for a list item, so we can use If condition to check if there is same value equal to the current question ID.

Best Regards,

Victoria

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 12:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Rio- the best way to do #1 is to set up views for each expert. Then set up an alert on each view to the specific people when new items are created just in that view.

For the second part, it depends on how you want to do it. Should this be automatic or random, or will you do this manually? I'm guessing automatic. If so, the only way I can think of doing this is to have a column that assigns some sort of code, like A for Adam, B for Brenda, etc. Then create a workflow with a If/else condition to assign it to a specific person based on that field.

cameron rautmann

Monday, March 6, 2017 7:19 PM
  • #1: Not sure of your suggestion! I have a separate list for Expert. The questions are posted to Discussion list under a category and want to send email to Experts listed in Experts list. How can I send alert on Experts list while the questions are posted to Discussions list?

#2: Those unanswered question will be assigned to an Expert by community moderator manually. I do not want the person (Community members) who submits the question to see the Assigned_To column. because it is moderators who assigns them to Experts. I thought of having another list called "QuestionsAssignment" to maintain the question ID and AssignedExpertUserID but got difficulty in How to capture the questions to this new list.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 6:02 AM
  • Hi Rio,

#1. You can use workflow to send the emails to the users in Experts list and use the Category for filtering the list items to get the corresponding ExpertUserID field.

http://mysharepointt.blogspot.sg/2013/11/send-email-to-multiple-person-or-group.html

#2. You can also use workflow to check if the Assigned_To column is blank and create new list items in the new list if it is not blank.

To prevent duplications, you can also add a condition to check if there is a question ID in the new list that matches the ID in the original list before creating the list items.

Best Regards,

Victoria

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:06 AM
  • #2,

How can I use a workflow to check if assigned_to column is blank?

How can I create a new item in a new list? How can I check if item already exists to prevent duplication. using what tools of SP?

I am limited with SP Designer, JS, JQuery, CSS, Client object model only. No to Visual Studio!!!

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 12:45 PM
  • #1- your discussion list should include the name of the expert in a column. Set up views where expert= this expert. Then set up an alert on that view so only that/those experts receive an alert.

#2- again, your discussion list should include an expert column. If you don't want others to see who the expert is, then in your expert list, assign each expert a code as I suggested above. Then have a lookup column in your discussion list that grabs the expert code. That way you'll be able to see who's assigned to what in the discussion list.

cameron rautmann

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 1:10 PM
  • Hi Rio,

We can use Create List Item action in workflow to create list items, and I suppose that there will be only one question ID for a list item, so we can use If condition to check if there is same value equal to the current question ID.

Best Regards,

Victoria

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 12:08 PM