none
Project Server Workflow Link to PDP using SharePoint Designer 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using SharePoint Designer 2013 to create a Project Server workflow in an on premise instance.  We would like to provide a link to the Project Detail Pages (PDPs) in the email that the approver receives so that they can just click on the link and review the project information.  Is this possible in SPD 2013?  If so, how is it done?
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:05 PM

All replies

• Yes it is possible. You can create link in the E- mail action when you send e- mail to user in a stage.

Once user will get the e- mail and he will click on the link they will be redirected to workflow list available in the PWA.

https://www.nothingbutsharepoint.com/sites/devwiki/articles/pages/create-sharepoint-2013-workflow-loop-by-using-sharepoint-2013-designer-preview.aspx

In above link E- mail message you can give link. In the right corner you can see the hyperlink link you can use it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj554671.aspx

kirtesh

• Edited by Kirteshtiw Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:30 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Kirteshtiw Tuesday, January 14, 2014 5:18 PM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:28 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.  The link I am referring to is not the Workflow Approval task list, it is the Workflow Status Page which is part of the Project Details Pages (<PWA URL>/Project%20Detail%20Pages/WorkflowStageStatus.aspx?ProjUid=<project unique id>&ret=0).  The challenge is that the URL is different for each project due to the ProjUid.
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:41 AM
  • As per my understanding it wont be possible to give a link to a project Detail Page in the mail that a approver receives. As for each and every project URL will be change and you can not control it in Mail format while notification  and none of the action in the sharepoint designer is giving such functionality.

You can do it if you use visual studio for workflow..

Still i will let other experts to give solution if possible. 

kirtesh

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:16 PM
  • Thanks, Kirtesh.  That's what I thought, but I would be interested to see if any others might have solved this using SharePoint Designer 2013.
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 4:37 AM
  • I was looking for the same quick fix, however, I did find a solution that works, but doesn't always come up as the prettiest email layout. (Hence I wondered if there is a different way).

If in the task description in SPD (in the String Builder), you put in the link to the PDP you want to link to, and then in the email you put in the task description as a lookup field, it will link to the right PDP.

(You do need to use html-commands: the <a> (for link) and <p> for paragraph if you want to link to more PDP's html-commands).

So an example for two links to two PDP's wouild look like this in the task description:

<p><a href=https://www.example.com/PWA/Project%20Detail%20Pages/Name_PDP1.aspx?projuid=[%Project Data:Project-UID%]>Display name of PDP 1</a></p>

<p><a href=https://www.example.com/PWA/Project%20Detail%20Pages/Name_PDP2.aspx?projuid=[%Project Data:Project-UID%]>Display name of the PDP 2</a></p>

In the links above, [%Project Data:Project-UID%] is then a Lookup Field you will have to put in.

Monday, February 23, 2015 3:10 PM
  • Terry,

You probably figured it out by now, but it can be done. The Project UID is available in the workflow data, and can easily be used to provide a direct link to the PDP. Here is an example.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Monday, February 23, 2015 5:13 PM
  • Hi, I'm trying to use these activities in my workflow, but I'm getting stuck retrieving the [%Projetc Data:Project UID%] value. It returns NULL and the workflow get cancelled with an error similar to this one:

System.ApplicationException: HTTP 403 {"Transfer-Encoding":["chunked"],"X-SharePointHealthScore":["2"],"SPClientServiceRequestDuration":["120"],"SPRequestGuid":["4b9dff8b-d69b-8e93-0f66-fd65358fdc26"],"request-id":["4b9dff8b-d69b-8e93-0f66-fd65358fdc26"],"X-FRAME-OPTIONS":["SAMEORIGIN"],"MicrosoftSharePointTeamServices":["15.0.0.4420"],"X-Content-Type-Options":["nosniff"],"X-MS-InvokeApp":["1; RequireReadOnly"],"Cache-Control":["max-age=0, private"],"Date":["Tue, 26 Feb 2013 07:58:54 GMT"],"Server":["Microsoft-IIS\/8.0"],"X-AspNet-Version":["4.0.30319"],"X-Powered-By":["ASP.NET"]} {"error":{"code":"35120, Microsoft.ProjectServer.PJClientCallableException","message":{"lang":"ru-RU","value":"WorkflowActivityInvalidArgument"}}}   в Microsoft.Activities.Hosting.Runtime.Subroutine.SubroutineChild.Execute(CodeActivityContext context)   в System.Activities.CodeActivity.InternalExecute(ActivityInstance instance, ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager 

I've heard this has been fixed in some CU, could you confirm which CU has the fix? Right now I'm on October 2013 CU and I'm planning to go to SP1 but I need to confirm if I need any other CU after SP1.

Regards,

Gustavo

Monday, August 31, 2015 5:23 PM
  • Hi, Instead of using ProjectUID use ProjectName in url.It would be like:

[%Workflow Context:Current Site URL%]/Project%20Detail%20Pages/WorkflowStageStatus.aspx?ProjectName=[%Project Data:Project Name%]&ret=0

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 1:30 PM