Image format unknown after Size Change RRS feed

• Question

• User1418935505 posted

Hey, guys.

I've got this.

Public Function ImageData(ByVal fu As FileUpload) As Byte()
            If fu.HasFile Then
                Dim thumbWidth As Integer = 1024
                Dim image As System.Drawing.Image = image.FromStream(fu.PostedFile.InputStream)
                'Create a System.Drawing.Bitmap with the desired width and height of the thumbnail.
                If image.Width > thumbWidth Then
                    Dim srcWidth As Integer = image.Width
                    Dim srcHeight As Integer = image.Height
                    Dim thumbHeight As Integer = (srcHeight / srcWidth) * thumbWidth
                    Dim bmp As New Bitmap(thumbWidth, thumbHeight)
                    'Create a System.Drawing.Graphics object from the Bitmap which we will use to draw the high quality scaled image
                    Dim gr As Graphics = Graphics.FromImage(bmp)
                    'Set the System.Drawing.Graphics object property SmoothingMode to HighQuality
                    gr.SmoothingMode = Drawing2D.SmoothingMode.HighQuality
                    'Set the System.Drawing.Graphics object property CompositingQuality to HighQuality
                    gr.CompositingQuality = Drawing2D.CompositingQuality.HighQuality
                    'Set the System.Drawing.Graphics object property InterpolationMode to High
                    gr.InterpolationMode = Drawing2D.InterpolationMode.High

' Draw the original image into the target Graphics object scaling to the desired width and height
                    Dim rectDestination As New Rectangle(0, 0, thumbWidth, thumbHeight)
                    gr.DrawImage(image, rectDestination, 0, 0, srcWidth, srcHeight, GraphicsUnit.Pixel)

Dim ms As New MemoryStream()
                    bmp.Save(ms, ImageFormat.Jpeg)

Dim imageBytes As Byte() = New Byte(fu.PostedFile.InputStream.Length) {}
                    ms.Read(imageBytes, 0, imageBytes.Length - 1)

Return imageBytes

ms.Close()
                    ms.Dispose()
                Else
                    Dim imageBytes As Byte() = New Byte(fu.PostedFile.InputStream.Length) {}
                    fu.PostedFile.InputStream.Read(imageBytes, 0, imageBytes.Length - 1)

Return imageBytes
                End If

Else
                Return Nothing
            End If
        End Function

Protected Sub fvImages_ItemInserting(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.FormViewInsertEventArgs) Handles fvImages.ItemInserting

Dim fu As New FileUpload
            fu = CType(fvImages.FindControl("fuImage"), FileUpload)

e.Values("ImageId") = Guid.NewGuid
            e.Values("ImageBinary") = ImageData(fu)
            e.Values("ImageMime") = ImageMime(fu)

End Sub

When the record is inserted into the table, and I call it back I'm getting a "Unknown Image Format" error.

I thought it might be because the width of the image I'm uploading being less than what I set to resize to, so I added a condition to bypass resize.

After some rough debugging, the issue seems to lie with in this declaration...

As always, help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Protected Sub fvImages_ItemInserting(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.FormViewInsertEventArgs) Handles fvImages.ItemInserting
            Dim fu As New FileUpload
            fu = CType(fvImages.FindControl("fuImage"), FileUpload)
            e.Values("ImageId") = Guid.NewGuid
            e.Values("ImageBinary") = ImageData(fu)
            e.Values("ImageMime") = ImageMime(fu)
        End Sub
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:52 AM
  • User1418935505 posted

Not too much different from what I'm currently using for retrieval.

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
            Dim ImageId As Guid = New Guid(Request.QueryString("ImageId"))

'Connect to the database and bring back the image contents & MIME type for the specified picture
            Using myConnection As New SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("csCHToyota").ConnectionString)

Const SQL As String = "SELECT [ImageMime], [ImageBinary] FROM [ImageIndex] WHERE [ImageId] = @ImageId"
                Dim myCommand As New SqlCommand(SQL, myConnection)
                myCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@ImageId", ImageId)

myConnection.Open()
                Dim myReader As SqlDataReader = myCommand.ExecuteReader

If myReader.Read Then
                    Response.ContentType = myReader("ImageMime").ToString()
                    Response.AddHeader("content-disposition", "attachment;filename=" & "111.jpg")
                    Response.BinaryWrite(myReader("ImageBinary"))
                End If

myReader.Close()
                myConnection.Close()
            End Using
        End Sub

I really need to know why stream turns to crap during with what I've currently got during resize and insert.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:11 AM
  • User1418935505 posted

Sorry!

Second URL solved my issue!

Many thanks.

Public Function ImageData(ByVal fu As FileUpload) As Byte()
            If fu.HasFile Then
                Dim thumbWidth As Integer = 1024

'Dim image As System.Drawing.Image = image.FromStream(fu.PostedFile.InputStream)
                'Create a System.Drawing.Bitmap with the desired width and height of the thumbnail.
                If image.Width > thumbWidth Then
                    Dim srcWidth As Integer = image.Width
                    Dim srcHeight As Integer = image.Height
                    Dim thumbHeight As Integer = (srcHeight / srcWidth) * thumbWidth
                    Dim bmp As New Bitmap(thumbWidth, thumbHeight)
                    'Create a System.Drawing.Graphics object from the Bitmap which we will use to draw the high quality scaled image
                    Dim gr As Graphics = Graphics.FromImage(bmp)
                    'Set the System.Drawing.Graphics object property SmoothingMode to HighQuality
                    gr.SmoothingMode = Drawing2D.SmoothingMode.HighQuality
                    'Set the System.Drawing.Graphics object property CompositingQuality to HighQuality
                    gr.CompositingQuality = Drawing2D.CompositingQuality.HighQuality
                    'Set the System.Drawing.Graphics object property InterpolationMode to High
                    gr.InterpolationMode = Drawing2D.InterpolationMode.High

' Draw the original image into the target Graphics object scaling to the desired width and height
                    Dim rectDestination As New Rectangle(0, 0, thumbWidth, thumbHeight)
                    gr.DrawImage(image, rectDestination, 0, 0, srcWidth, srcHeight, GraphicsUnit.Pixel)

Dim ms As New MemoryStream()
                    bmp.Save(ms, ImageFormat.Jpeg)

Dim imageBytes As Byte() = ConvertImagetoByteArray(bmp, ImageFormat.Jpeg) 'New Byte(fu.PostedFile.InputStream.Length) {}
                    ms.Read(imageBytes, 0, imageBytes.Length - 1)

Return imageBytes

ms.Close()
                    ms.Dispose()
                Else
                    Dim imageBytes As Byte() = ConvertImagetoByteArray(image, ImageFormat.Jpeg) 'New Byte(fu.PostedFile.InputStream.Length) {}
                    fu.PostedFile.InputStream.Read(imageBytes, 0, imageBytes.Length - 1)

Return imageBytes

End If

Else
                Return Nothing
            End If
        End Function

The key was converting to ByteArray :)

Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:48 AM