Report body not visible RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All!

I have a problem, when I try to render my report in our website the report body is not visible. The toolbar is displayed correctly.

I get three javascript errors when loading the page and I think it might be related.

Error #1:
    'RSClientController' is undefined

Error #2:
    'this.m_clientController' is null or not an object

Error #3:
    'parent.ClientControllerpageDev_PeterL_rpv' is null or not an object

Other useful information:
    The reportviewer control is in an ajax update panel.
    The report renders correctly in firefox.
    In firefox, the toolbar says: page 1/1
    In IE7 the toolbar says: page "blank"/0
    The reports work 100% when included on an empty page.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
    Peter Larsson

Thursday, August 16, 2007 1:06 PM

Answers

• The ReportViewer control does not currently work when placed inside an UpdatePanel.  We are aware of these issues and are working to address them.  Unfortunately, there is no workaround for the current version of the viewer.

Friday, August 17, 2007 7:46 AM

All replies

• The ReportViewer control does not currently work when placed inside an UpdatePanel.  We are aware of these issues and are working to address them.  Unfortunately, there is no workaround for the current version of the viewer.

Friday, August 17, 2007 7:46 AM
  • Thank you for replying with such clarity, even though the answer was negative.

I have put my reports in an iframe, it'll do for now, but do you have any idea when an update will be availible?

Best regards,
    Peter Larsson!
    Saturday, August 18, 2007 4:12 PM
  • I don't have a specific date yet.  We're working on updating the viewer to both work in an UpdatePanel and also to use UpdatePanels, giving developers more events and control over the viewer.  Due to the scope of these changes, they didn't make it into VS 2008.  But we are exploring ways of shipping an update to the viewer outside of VS so that you don't need to wait for the next VS release.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 7:01 PM
  • Hi all,

I am having the same problem. However the reportviewer did work for a while even in a view inside a multiview inside an update panel. Then all of the sudden it stopped working and I started getting the same error messages as above. I did a test page with a reportviewer inside an updatepanel and it works. I then took it out of the updatepanel and placed it in a view in a multiview and it worked. I then placed the multivew inside the update panel and the header shows up but again the body is not visible. It has got to be a postback issue.

There has got to be a workaround because it is so intuitive that these three would work together and so should.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:31 PM
  • I was under the impression that the solution in this thread worked:

http://forums.asp.net/p/1044194/1460759.aspx

I'm kind of concerned about the ReportViewer roadmap because it’s really confusing. 

On one hand, it sounds like there aren't many updates to reporting in VS2008. Some wizards and some reportviewer bug fixes is all that I have seen or heard about. 

On the other hand SQL2008 which is shipping at the same time features a new designer that will be integrated with VS2008.  SQL2008 RS ,which includes a number of major enhancements, apparently doesn't require the SQL2008 to run for clients who want to upgrade RS but not the engine. 

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:34 PM
  • As it turns out that solution doesn't really work well if you have parameters.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:47 PM
  • We're having the same issue, the report body does not render correctly, but it only happens with IE7, under IE6 everything works fine. We're not using an update panel, just the ReportViewer placed on an ASP.Net 2.0 page.

We can export the report to PDF and all the data is there, and the report renders correctly in IE7 when going to the report manager.

It's only when using the Report Viewer control in IE7 that we run into issues. Anyone else have this issue, or have any suggestions?
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 8:50 PM
  • Hi Brian.

Du you have any new/more information regarding this problem with the reportviewer? If not, is there somewhere I can look for news about this issue?

Thursday, October 18, 2007 8:21 AM
  • Hi Brian.

Du you have any new/more information about this problem? If not, where can I look for updates

on this issue?

Thursday, October 18, 2007 8:24 AM