none
Error code FF - can't install .Net Framework 4 client profile KB982670 RRS feed

• Question

• I am having trouble installing "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows 7 x86 - based Systems (KB982670)" from WU. It fails and all I receive is the error code FF?!

I've tried several things - resetting the ACL on GAC, clearing my %temp% directory + disabling my AV software, installing the standalone version for .NET Framework 4.0...and it does nothing, the files just extract and nothing happens.
    I have used the .NET Framework cleanup tool
    (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx) and tried the standalone installer again...same results...nothing.

Log collection: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A333A4C8343CE007!285&authkey=!AJWEDCafLHQuPj8

Saturday, October 13, 2012 3:33 PM

Answers

• "What is worst case scenario if I do not install the .net sofware and ignore WU?"

That you will be unable to use software that requires .NET 4.0.

However, IMHO the issues you are having point to problems within your OS which may result in other symptoms.

As you are adverse to an OS reinstall, I have no other suggestions.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:38 PM

All replies

• "I have used the .NET Framework cleanup tool "

Recommended only as a LAST resort due to the possibility of damage to system files. You may need an OS reinstall.

Before that, you can try a manual install, following this procedure:

Follow ALL these steps exactly:

Before trying to install .NET Framework 4.0, execute this command from an ELEVATED Command Prompt provided by the .NET Framework Team:

"This issue is likely caused by a bad ACL on assembly\tmp folder. After installing updates, the ACL propagates to installed assembly folders in both 4.0 & legacy GAC.  If those updates were installed by WU or another user, the propagated ACL will prevent install of the same assembly by the current user.

A work around would be to reset the ACL on GAC dirs.

for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T"

After running that command, follow these steps:

Please follow these instructions exactly:

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

2. Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

3. Run the standalone installer from step 1 As Administrator.

Note: Just using an administrator account is NOT enough. To activate full privileges, you must right-click the installer, then select Run as administrator.

If the install fails, provide complete install logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://aka.ms/vscollect

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

• Edited by pvdg42 Saturday, October 13, 2012 5:27 PM
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Thank you for your answer I have read your recommended procedure many times before and that is exactly what I did. Please find link to collected logs on sky drive posted in my initial question.
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 11:20 AM
  • Looking in your vslogs, I am unable to find an install log for .NET Framework 4.0. Is it possible that you cleared your %temp% directory after the last manual install attempt?

Sunday, October 14, 2012 2:56 PM
  • I am pretty sure I followed your instructions to the best of my ability, so I don't think I cleared the folder prior to running the collection... not to my knowledge that is. Should I try install from MU and collect again?
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Please download a fresh copy of the full standalone installer I linked for you and run it As Administrator.

Then, if it fails, run Collect.exe. Upload the new vslogs.cab and post the link here.

Sunday, October 14, 2012 3:23 PM
  • Done and it failed...or actually it didn't really do anything.

vslogs here: http://sdrv.ms/OzfVBG

Sunday, October 14, 2012 3:41 PM
  • Again, no install log. It appears that the setup is not starting.

The extraction log shows the files are here on your system:

C:\2fd3af2abaa7e4fafc5284657d5a79db\\Setup.exe

If you can find that folder/file (make sure your file explorer is set to show hidden/system files), try running Setup.exe with this switch:

Setup.exe /x86

If you cannot find the folder, manually extract the files in the installer archive to a folder on your hard drive, then run setup as above.

Sunday, October 14, 2012 10:14 PM
  • I tried locating the folder and the exe file without success. Can you please advise me how to extract the files in the installer archive? I am not sure I understand what you mean by that.
    Monday, October 15, 2012 6:32 AM
  • The file you download, dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe, is a self extracting archive.

You can open the archive and extract the files to a folder using any good archiving utility, such as 7Zip

http://www.7-zip.org/

(which is my favorite - works very well, and free). If you use 7Zip and right-click on dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe, one of the options you will see is to extract to a folder named dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.

After extraction, open a Command Prompt window as administrator, then navigate to the dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64 folder you created. At the prompt, type Setup.exe /x86

Then hit your Enter key.

Monday, October 15, 2012 12:58 PM
  • I am still unsuccessful. The installation log is empty. I've also tried installing the program manually from the folder, but still nothing happens. I have noticed that the files in the dotNetFx40 folder contains a lot of x64 and x86 files and I'm running 32-bit. Is that of any importance? I have also noticed that since the troubles with the .net framework install, I've been unable to scale my streamed videos onto the television in the right format.
    Saturday, October 20, 2012 9:08 AM
  • With no logs to look at, I'm out of suggestions for you.

Going back to this:

" "I have used the .NET Framework cleanup tool "

Recommended only as a LAST resort due to the possibility of damage to system files. You may need an OS reinstall."

In your situation, I'd do a clean install of the OS.

Saturday, October 20, 2012 2:31 PM
  • So I've tried to install it one last time - well actually I have tried three times and I've added a link to the log: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A333A4C8343CE007!316&authkey=!AOOfwOtyk2BLJOI Can I ask you to please have another look at the log? Supplement: I have also tried installing in failsafe mode, unsuccessfully of course.
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:35 AM
  • This time, there is an install log (three, to be precise).

"Installation Blockers:

1. Du kan ikke bruge dette installationsprogram til at installere .NET Framework. Du kan finde flere oplysninger i filen med vigtige oplysninger.
    [10/21/2012, 10:10:51] Global Block Checks: StopBlockers evaluated to true.

[10/21/2012, 10:10:51]Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x000013EC), "A StopBlock was hit or a System Requirement was not met." (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:04)."

Google Translate: You can not use this setup program to install. NET Framework. You can find more information in the ReadMe file.

Exactly how did you run the installer?

Researching your error in MSDN, it appears to be a particularly thorny problem. I found one thread with a possible fix you can try:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/d833aea1-8193-4825-b856-83130a824f10

Read the post from Samael69.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 1:41 PM
  • Oh yeah thank G.. for Google translate and regarding your question, I ran the installer in failsafe mode (diagnostic start from msconfig menu) and all I get is just the install logo...and then it stops. Would you suggest that I follow all the steps in samael's description, especially the part about uninstall of the .net software?
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 2:05 PM
  • I suggest you skip the cleanup tool step for reasons already mentioned.
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Ran install as suggested - no effect - see log: http://sdrv.ms/RbJWYs

It's only when I try to install in failsafe mode that I get as far as the .NET splashscreen and then it stops.

The first install-log is in failsafe and second in normal mode.

And I really think a clean install of OS is a radical procedure, not to mention extremely demanding in terms of data-backup. What is worst case scenario if I do not install the .net sofware and ignore WU?

Sunday, October 21, 2012 4:12 PM
  • "What is worst case scenario if I do not install the .net sofware and ignore WU?"

That you will be unable to use software that requires .NET 4.0.

However, IMHO the issues you are having point to problems within your OS which may result in other symptoms.

As you are adverse to an OS reinstall, I have no other suggestions.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:38 PM
  • Is it just me or have we all rather passively accepted the completely pathetic inadequacies of MS in a very sheeplike manner, and just taken it as a given that damn near alla their "updates", apps and other assorted fecal retail matter will likely work partially, if at all, and rather than boycott or revolt, we meekishly just wallow through their littany of lies and complete fallacies as to what WE ought do and what flaming hoops WE ought leap through in efforts to duct tape their lame garbage into some half functioning workaround aboration, in lieu of THEM actually doing and financing their own R & D? If Im gonna be MS's unpaid R & D monkey couldnt they at least toss me the occasional banana? I have sworn for years Ill switch to crapple roughly 4 to 5 days after my funeral, but I keep being shoved so forcefully and unapologetically towards eating my own words by the blatant and shameless ineptitude of MS that I will ponder greatly where Ill spend my $ on my next hardware. Seriously folks every MS employee and exec oughtta wear a ski mask to work and their moderators ("accomplices") should have ski masks on their avatars, their SOP is as plainly as the noonday sun to rob us with no apolgies, in broad day light and with no attempt to hide it. I may suffer futily through the bovine fecal matter of their fixes and work arounds a while longer but next time they want one red cent from me to make some hunk of stool which has already been paid for or alleged by the charlatans as free, I will truly indulge my lond term fantasy of dropping my lame duck puter from a high rooftop. Your consumer decisions are your own but so long as we behave as we do, their SOP will remain to churn out #$%^&.
    Sunday, September 1, 2013 11:49 PM