none
I need a little advice on "The 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' provider is not registered on the local machine" RRS feed

• Question

• I need a little advice on "The 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' provider is not registered on the local machine"
    I had an app written that generated an Access mdb under XP & Access 2003.  I now have a Vista 64 bit machine with Access 2007 and get the error messsage when trying to run the app. Since no 64 bit version of Jet does/will exist can I install the "old" version of Access (with Jet) on the new 64 bit Vista box and will it run and maybe solve the problem?  The original programmer is long gone and I know it's not the best solution but....

Friday, February 27, 2009 3:35 PM

All replies

• If your front end is a Visual Basic .NET application you will need to compile for x86. This is the only way to run your app with Jet OLEDB under a 64-bit OS.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Friday, February 27, 2009 6:21 PM
  •  Your reply is a little above my knowledge...I only have the executable version of the app (no source) but I may be able to track it down from the programmer. I'm not sure if it's a VB app or if it was done with Studio..though it does use the .NET Framework. Regardless, I would need either VB or Studio to use to recompile the program for (x86), right?
    Friday, February 27, 2009 10:14 PM
  • You would definitely need the application source code. By default applications are compiled for "any cpu" in .NET. When you run an app compiled for "any cpu" on a 64-bit system it will automatically run as a 64-bit process. Since many application components are still 32-bit (like Jet OLEDB) you can force the app to run as a 32-bit process in a 64-bit environment (64-bit WoW) by setting the "target cpu" option to x86 before compilation.

From Visual Studio the procedure to change this option is the following:

Project Properties...Compile tab...Advanced Compile Options button...Target CPU dropdown. You may have to add the x86 option if it is not present.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 12:18 AM