none
CTP2 IBW x86 Install Error Code 0x0000005D RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've been installing CTP2 on some old laptops I have lying around and things were going well until I tried it on an old HP Pavilion zx5040us.  It has a Mobile Pentium 4 CPU, so I booted from the x86, got the Windows screen and eventually a black screen with:

Your PC needs to restart.
    Please hold down the power button.

Error code: 0x0000005D
    Parameters:
    0x030f0209
    0x756e6547
    0x49656e69
    0x6c65746e

I assume it means that platform is not supported, but I couldn't find anything definitive so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks

Update: I get exactly the same result if I build an image with ICE, using a .pmq file from this machine.

Any ideas?  Is this indicating a missing driver? Or a device that's not supported?  Anything I could avoid?

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:24 AM

Answers

• I believe this is related to the Windows 8 requirement for the NX feature of CPUs, which means most Pentium 4 processors are not supported. You can find more information at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh975398.aspx

Do you encounter the same error with Windows 8 Client?

Friday, June 22, 2012 8:29 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• this sounds like a hardware/driver issue. Can you somehow share out the setup log file: <installDrive>\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log or <installDrive>\WINDOWS\Panther\setupact.log ?
    Friday, June 22, 2012 2:45 PM
    Answerer
  • I believe this is related to the Windows 8 requirement for the NX feature of CPUs, which means most Pentium 4 processors are not supported. You can find more information at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh975398.aspx

Do you encounter the same error with Windows 8 Client?

Friday, June 22, 2012 8:29 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Robert, thanks for the link.  That document explained the NX requirement and had a link to SysInternal's Coreinfo utility.  I ran that from WinPE and quickly found that system did not support NX.  I won't be wasting any more time on that system.  Thanks again!
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:24 AM