ETW manifest RRS feed

• Question

• Is there an ETW manifest file (like CLR-ETW.man) with the ETW Events in the Task Parallel Library and PLINQ?
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Steffen-

No, not currently.  We are planning on releasing a tool to assist with these events, but I unfortunately don't have a timeline for this.  We'll certainly announce when something is available.

Just to help us understand better, what are you interested in using this for?

Thanks.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Steffen-

No, not currently.  We are planning on releasing a tool to assist with these events, but I unfortunately don't have a timeline for this.  We'll certainly announce when something is available.

Just to help us understand better, what are you interested in using this for?

Thanks.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:30 PM
  • Hi Stephen

To solve complicated performance and timing issues I like to use ETW and the xperf tool. The xperf tool supports manifest-based ETW. To analyse a running application I enable some trace provider and after the performance problem occurred I flush the memory-buffered log to a file.

Additional it would be very helpful to get performance information for task, parallel loop and PLINQ - like the native thread APIs:
    GetThreadTimes
    QueryThreadCycleTime
    ReadThreadProfilingData (HW counter, L2 cache misses, etcetera)

Friday, February 12, 2010 9:24 AM
  • Stephen,
                  If ETW is not available for TPL  then what is this for http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee517329(VS.100).aspx? I am not clear. If it is available what is the provider guid?

Thanks
    Naveen
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:04 PM