windows integrated security instead Forms authentication RRS feed

• Question

• User-1987530657 posted

Dear all ,[8-)]

I would like to able to change the way user able to log into  windows integrated security instead Forms authentication, so  do i have to  to disable  membership provider ?

or i need only to change in webconfig file and the website will handel and ignore the membership? ,,i just new to mempership provider model.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:24 PM

All replies

• User-1440131788 posted
    Once you change the web.config  file to use Windows Integrated security, users will have to log in using a valid Windows account on the network. Changing the web.config  file disables the forms authentication.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>Check this article from ScottGu: <o:p></o:p>

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/07/12/Recipe_3A00_-Enabling-Windows-Authentication-within-an-Intranet-ASP.NET-Web-application.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998358.aspx also got all the info you need.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:06 PM
  • User555306248 posted

To enable Windows Authentication within an ASP.NET Application, you should make sure that you have “Integrated Windows Authentication” (formerly called NTLM authentication) enabled within IIS for the application you are building. 

You should then add a web.config file to the root directory of your ASP.NET application that contains an <authentication> section which sets the mode to “Windows”.

The below web.config file demonstrates how to configure both steps described above:

<configuration>

<system.web>

<authentication mode="Windows" />

<authorization>
                 <deny users="?"/>
              </authorization>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Note that the <deny users=”?”/> directive within the <authorization> section above is what tells ASP.NET to deny access to the application to all “anonymous” users to the site (the “?” character means anonymous user).  This forces Windows to authenticate the user, and ensures that the username is always available from code on the server.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:39 PM
  • User-1987530657 posted

well but i still need to add these user to roles right ?

the website administration tool dosn't  work with me it give error like :

"An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try again".

later i did created this manually from user and roles tables and i have noticed that every new user created from withen the tracker website add with 3 roles :

Consultant,ProjectAdministrator,ProjectManager . that is not true case

so is there is now way other WAT tool to creat new roles and it dosnt work to me !!

finaly for membership tables how it going to work with integrated security  same as forms based?

plz try to answer every qestion separately guys [:)]

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:34 AM
  • User555306248 posted

Yes, you need to add these user to roles, because it defines the rigthts to particular users

Monday, June 2, 2008 11:26 PM
  • User555306248 posted

Any updates on this

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 10:22 PM
  • User555306248 posted

Are you able to solve this one

Monday, December 8, 2008 10:28 PM