Has anyone used the WiX template for Dexterity applications that ships with GP 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• I've successfully used the WiX template for Dexterity applications that ships with GP 10, which uses WiX v2.

The WiX template that ships with GP 2010 appears to require WiX v3, as the schema tag references 2006 rather than 2003: <Wix xmlns='http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi'>. Additionally, if I attempt to candle my GP 2010 project using WiX v2, I get errors as it doesn't like ShortName variables within the *.wxs project. However, if I attempt to candle the project using WiX v3, I get CNDL1080 errors on the \Include\Component_Registry.wxi file telling me that the Registry element has been deprecated. I also attempted to use WiX v2 with the GP 2010 project by changing the ShortName variables to Name variables and the Name variables to LongName variables (ie, WiX v2 syntax). The project candles and lights successfully, but when I run Setup.msi, which in turn runs my project.msi, a couple of windows open and close too quickly to view, and the install doesn't proceed. I can successfully run my project.msi directly, but it doesn't find the GP 2010 install directory and installs into \program files\my project (the setup.msi takes care of pathing to GP instances).

I am by no means a WiX expert, I just followed the documentation provided in the integration guide. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:38 PM forum consolidation (From:Architecture, Tools, and Process for ISVs)
    Friday, June 4, 2010 9:20 PM

All replies

• Update - I used WixCop to update all the *mx files in my project, and I can now candle and light without errors.  At that point I'm back to the same issue as before:

When I run Setup.msi, which in turn is supposed to run my project.msi based on entries in Setup.ini, a couple of windows open and close too quickly to view, and the install doesn't occur. I can successfully run my project.msi directly, but it doesn't find the GP 2010 install directory and installs into \program files\my project (the setup.msi takes care of pathing to GP instances).

Kevin

Saturday, June 5, 2010 1:48 AM