mscorlib.tlb': No such file or directory RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all;

We use C++ to compile a shim for our Office AddIn. So not our code - it's provided by Microsoft. It's been working great for years. All of a sudden now I'm getting the following when compiling on my computer (still does fine on all other systems here):

Error 42 error C1083: Cannot open type library file: 'mscorlib.tlb': No such file or directory c:\src\jenova\12.5\merge\autotag\autotagshim32\stdafx.h 38 1 AutoTagShim32 (Visual Studio 2010)

I compared my system with another and both do have mscorlib.tlb in the same places:

C:\src\jenova\13.0\Merge\javaEngine>dir \mscorlib.tlb /s
     Volume in drive C has no label.
     Volume Serial Number is C2CE-D6C0

Directory of C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

06/10/2009  02:23 PM           524,288 mscorlib.tlb
                   1 File(s)        524,288 bytes

Directory of C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319

09/11/2012  06:23 PM           519,680 mscorlib.tlb
                   1 File(s)        519,680 bytes

Directory of C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727

06/10/2009  01:39 PM           512,896 mscorlib.tlb
                   1 File(s)        512,896 bytes

Directory of C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319

09/11/2012  06:23 PM           517,664 mscorlib.tlb
                   1 File(s)        517,664 bytes

Directory of C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_netfx-mscorlib_tlb2_b03f5f7f11d50a3a_6.1.7
    600.16385_none_8b2be1d321c48c47

06/10/2009  01:39 PM           512,896 mscorlib.tlb
                   1 File(s)        512,896 bytes

Directory of C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_netfx-mscorlib_tlb2_b03f5f7f11d50a3a_6.1.760
    0.16385_none_d2d918aa3640b54d

06/10/2009  02:23 PM           524,288 mscorlib.tlb
                   1 File(s)        524,288 bytes

Total Files Listed:
                   6 File(s)      3,111,712 bytes
                   0 Dir(s)  251,434,917,888 bytes free

C:\src\jenova\13.0\Merge\javaEngine>

Any idea what's wrong and how I can fix this?

thanks - dave

Who will win The Windward International Collegiate Programming Championships?

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:01 PM

Answers

• mscorlib.tlb is the type library for mscorlib.dll, which is the entry point for the .NET runtime. I'm suspicious that your .NET Framework has somehow become corrupted as part of the Windows update.

I suspect you can  easily fix this by removing, and re-installing  the .NET Framework from the Microsoft download site. Your application is dependent on it. I presume you know which version your software requires.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

>> All of a sudden now I'm getting the following when compiling on my computer (still does fine on all other systems here):

Did you make any sudden changes to your computer?

Have you checked "c:\src\jenova\12.5\merge\autotag\autotagshim32\stdafx.h 38 1 AutoTagShim32 (Visual Studio 2010) " and found ' mscorlib.tlb ' there ?

Please forgive my lack of experience, could tell me the difference between " c:\src\jenova\12.5\merge\autotag\ " and " C:\src\jenova\13.0\Merge\javaEngine "?

Sincerely,

Jane.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:41 AM
  • I think it happened after installing the monthly Windows updates. So that may have done it.

No, it is only at the locations shown by the dir command (that would have listed it if it was there).

The line in stdafx.h is:

#import <mscorlib.tlb> raw_interfaces_only high_property_prefixes("_get","_put","_putref")

No difference between " c:\src\jenova\12.5\merge\autotag\ " and "C:\src\jenova\13.0\Merge\javaEngine " - they are 2 different versions of our code but for this DLL, they are identical - and the build fails on both.

Keep in mind I did "dir \" so it was walking all directories on the C: drive.

??? - thanks - dave

Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:06 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thanks for your feedback.

Have you tried to reboot the machine after installing Windows updates?

By the way, could you please tell us which version of Visual Studio you were using to compile this application?

Please try to create simple sample project like console application to check if this issue caused by Visual Studio itself.

If error C1083 happened to all the kinds of Visual C++ projects, there might be something wrong with Visual C++ compiler.

If so,please try to repair or reinstall Visual Studio to fix this issue.

Best Regards,

Jane.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, February 17, 2014 3:43 AM
  • Hi;

1. I have rebooted multiple times since then. Still a problem.
    2. It occurs with VS 1012 and 2013.
    3. How do I create a console app that uses mscorlib.tlb?
    4. This occurred long after I installed VisualStudio and it is working fine for everything else.

In addition, this still works fine on my home system and I can't find any differences between the two. I checked everything I could think of between the two systems and they match.

Can you please tell me how to solve this instead of giving me a bunch of random generic suggestions? I've listed where the file is on my computer - how do I get VC++ to see it?

thanks - dave

Monday, February 17, 2014 1:30 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Please forgive my short of experience, this issue is beyond my ability.

I have delivered this case to the team members who have rich technical experience for better solutions, which might take some time.

All of us here are appreciating your patience here.

Sincerely,

Jane.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 1:27 AM
  • Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:27 AM
  • mscorlib.tlb is the type library for mscorlib.dll, which is the entry point for the .NET runtime. I'm suspicious that your .NET Framework has somehow become corrupted as part of the Windows update.

I suspect you can  easily fix this by removing, and re-installing  the .NET Framework from the Microsoft download site. Your application is dependent on it. I presume you know which version your software requires.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:16 AM