none
Update SQL Database table specific column value using Excel VBA code on the basis of condition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am very new in VBA code. If some one can help me it will be really appreciated

I want update "Upload" column on Button click on the basis of ID, some time i want update on record some time multiple record at one click.

Thanks

Sarvajeet kaur

Thursday, January 9, 2020 5:42 PM

All replies

• Hi, Here is the basic update code needed to update a single record. I will leave it to you to cycle through your list and call this subroutine. Be sure you create the following 'references' in your workbook (Developer / Visual Basic / Tools / References) - Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.8 Library / Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Recordset 2.8 Library

This code just runs a normal SQL 'Update' command.  You need to change some of the parameters inside the code.

Public Sub Update_Status_in_SQL(Update_To As String, ID_Key As Integer)

On Error GoTo Update_Status_in_SQL_Error

'Initializes variables
    Dim cnn As New ADODB.Connection
    Dim rst As New ADODB.Recordset
    Dim ConnectionString As String
    Dim StrQuery As String

Dim SQL_Table_to_Update As String

' Set the name of the SQL table to be updated
        SQL_Table_to_Update = ""

' You need to configure your connection string.  The following works for SQL Server 16.  Replace 'Server' and 'Database' parameters to your configuration.
        ConnectionString = "Driver={SQL Server Native Client 11.0};Server=BI16PROD;Database=BusinessIntelligence;Trusted_Connection=yes"

Application.Cursor = xlWait

'Opens connection to the database
        cnn.Open ConnectionString
        'Timeout error in seconds for executing the entire query; this will run for 5 minutes before VBA timesout
        cnn.CommandTimeout = 300

Set rst = New ADODB.Recordset
        Set rst.ActiveConnection = cnn

' Construct the 'Update' query for the two input values
        StrQuery = "UPDATE " & SQL_Table_to_Update & " SET [Upload] = " & Update_To & " WHERE [ID] = " & Str(ID_Key)

' Run the update query
        rst.Open StrQuery

Application.Cursor = xlDefault

rst.Close
        cnn.Close
        Set rst = Nothing
        Set cnn = Nothing

Exit Sub

Update_Status_in_SQL_Error:

Application.Cursor = xlDefault
        rst.Close
        cnn.Close
        Set rst = Nothing
        Set cnn = Nothing
        MsgBox ("Error in Update_Status_in_SQL:  " & "Update_To = " & Update_To & " - for ID_Key = " & Str(ID_Key) & vbCrLf & "Err #" & Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description)

End Sub

Friday, January 31, 2020 8:11 PM